Adding lemon juice after ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastluvr

Reaction score
I've been having some troubles getting lemon juice to ferment to dryness when making lemon wine. I seem to get stuck around a 1.020. Would there be a huge taste difference if you added most your lemon juice after your ferment was complete? Any thoughts on this? There is not much else in the must other then lemon juice, sugar, water, nutrient.

what sort of yeast are you using, and what is your overall sugar content.

not a PRO, but I do know that not all yeasts are created equal, and not all can survive the acidic environment, plus the alcohol content over time.

only thing I can think that would be a decent idea, would be to re-pitch your yeast for a second go-around.

just my opinion, probably wrong

I should clarify. I'm getting ready to do another batch and haven't started it yet. I'm using redstar champagne yeast and making a starter. Just curious if you could skip putting in most the lemon juice until after it was done fermenting out the sugars or if this would have a huge taste difference. In other words, dump in your lemon juice in afterwords. I cant imagine there is that much sugar to ferment in the lemon juice anyway.

Did you add yeast nutrient. I think it's a must for pee.

As for your question, it will taste different as fermentation tends to alter flavours. For the best or worst, I don't know. What recipe are you using?

Dicky

Its basically skeeter pee. I am using nutrients. I'm using store bought lemon juice with all the preservatives in it. I just dont know how much role the lemon juice itself will play into fermentation. That's why I thought you may be able to get away adding most or all of it toward the end of ferment. But I agree, fermentation alters flavors.

lemon juice is a pain too ferment, If you get store bought lemon juice to ferment 13% or more dry please tell me how you did it as I would really like to know. I could never get more then 10% so start with 1.070 or lower and add nutrients twice like the skeeter pee says. If you add the juice later you would just have sugar alcohol mixed with lemon juice, if thats what you are going for then have at it...

I would assume that during the fermentation the yeast change the "nature" of the lemon juice and it tastes different if fermented.

But there's only one way to find out - try it and report back. :) Maybe use half the lemon juice at the end instead of all of it?

i just use 2 packs of lalvin ec-1118 and have never had a problem with pee getting stuck after 10+ batches.. second day additions of neutrient and oxygen are a must.. have you tried warming it up?

I will try lalvin ec-1118 next time. I dont know why I didn't use that yeast as I know its well suited for harsh environment. I may try two different batches and see exactly what the taste difference is. I agree the ferment changes the nature of the juice, otherwise people would be making sugar wine and dumping whatever they wanted in to it later on. I think I will try two different batches as an experiminet and see how much difference there really is.

Back