carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronMaine

Reaction score
I have brewed 3 extract brews from Northern Brewer... Caribou slobber, St Paul porter and Innkeeper. all have tasted fantastic, but all seem a bit low on carbonation. I am using bottles and corn sugar and have not strayed from the directions. Any ideas what I am doing wrong.....or should I simply add more sugar?

I'm a new brewer and mine do fine. I wonder how long you are carbing the bottles. I have waited 3 to 4 weeks for my 3 extract brews and they are fine.

If you are drinking them 1-2 weeks after bottling they will a bit sweet and low on carbonation; you gotta give them a full 3-4 weeks to fully carb.

My first brew was a NB American Wheat Ale and I tried 1 bottle at 2 weeks. It was still pretty weak on carbonation and the taste was a bit off still. After the 4th week they were much, much better.

Are you adding the sugar to a bottling bucket/fermentor, or each bottle individually? I know a lot of people have carb consistency issues when going the individual route. Otherwise, I agree, just give them a little more time

player2ma said:
Are you adding the sugar to a bottling bucket/fermentor, or each bottle individually? I know a lot of people have carb consistency issues when going the individual route. Otherwise, I agree, just give them a little more time

to the bucket.........I am probably drinking them too soon LOL

There aren't too many absolutes in brewing, but 3 weeks at 70 comes fairly close!
Pez.

Latest posts

Back