First batch not carbonating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAHokie

Reaction score
Okay, maybe I am being paranoid, but I really loved brewing. I'm already hooked and looking forward to doing this long into the future. However, I'm worried that my first batch isn't carbonating.

It's been less than a week (I bottled on Saturday), but from what I can tell, it doesn't look like its carbonating. I'm keeping it between 73-75 degrees. Is there anything I can do? Is there anyway to encourage carbonation?

It is an autumn ale from Midwest. I brewed it from the beginners kit. I followed the recipe to a t. I used the bottling sugar they gave me and dissolved it in 1 cup (a little more, probably 10 oz) of water. I put it in the bottom of my bottling bucket and swirled my tubing from my autosiphon to encourage it to mix in with my beer. I thought I did everything correctly.

Just wait longer :p Your process sounds good, it will carb. Some beers of mine have taken damn near 3 weeks to show any sign of carbonation and some weren't properly carbed for months.

Usually though 21 days is good at room temp. Also carbing that warm is going to cause a higher final level of carbonation than conditioning at 70f, so if it seems too highly carbed adjust sugar next time.

Saturday was 4 days ago!

Think about something else until day 13. Then put one in the fridge and 24 hours later open it and sample. But keep the rest in a place at least 70 degrees for 7 more days after that!

how much priming sugar and what was your exact volume you bottled? One week may do nothing, and in terms of taste probably that as well.I have some beers i tend to apreaciate and know they are where they should be with months of conditioning,check one in a few more weeks, or one every week but save some and see what i mean by how much better they get after a few months.With a pipeline and patience you will see how your beer changes with time,in most cases it only gets better.
This is gonna hurt you more than it hurts me,but you are gonna want some patience.. and a pipline,brew more,try some new craft beer to keep your mind at ease,but learn and brew there is alot to discover, have fun!
Oh and by the way your not going to be able to tell by looking if its carbonated, unless you bottle one with a plastic bottle then you can see/feel the stiffness of the bottle and know your whole batch is probably carbed up.

I moved to real brewing from mr beer a year ago and use one of their plastic quart bottles for each if my batches for that exact reason. When I feel the bottle firm up, I'll give a 12oz a couple days in the fridge to check it. Mrbeer.com sells the bottles. I've had some batches carb in a week and one took 4. I'm glad I have the plastic to check without wasting any beer.

Should be fine. It's hard to tell if it's carbonated just looking through the bottle. Wait another week, put one in the fridge for a couple days, and then try it. Try not to consume too many before they've been carbonating for a few weeks. They'll be much better by then.

Also, autumn amber ale was my first brew as well. It's been my favorite beer so far, although I've only made 5 batches. Definitely a delicious beer, and a great beer for this time of year.

My recipes all state 2 weeks in bottling. I have done 4 extracts with 2 partial mash in process. Of the 4 one was done in a week and a half the other 3 took 2 1/2 to 3 weeks.

Wait, patiently if possible, for about 2 more weeks before panicking.

Arggg....the waiting is the hardest part. I went and bought another carboy so that I can have two batches fermenting at a time, but it is killing me to have two cases of beer in the house and I can't touch them for another 2.5 weeks.

Arggg....the waiting is the hardest part. I went and bought another carboy so that I can have two batches fermenting at a time, but it is killing me to have two cases of beer in the house and I can't touch them for another 2.5 weeks.

As soon as one is out of primary, brew another. Soon you will have a pipeline built up and can have a choice every night. You will also be able to ease off a bit and still not run out. I just had to take a break for visitors and did not brew for a month. I have a Belgian Dubbel in secondary not due til Dec. I counted and found I am below 80 bottles. Panic city. I am making my next 2 brews short aging recipes to get more going.:drunk:

I was brewing small batches(alot experimental) when i first started, weekly. It only took a few months and i was getting a pipleline. I also wasnt spending an outrageous amount but really, i kinda was because doing mail order i was thinking well i need to stock up so i dont have to spend money shipping frequently. So i thought of it as an investment of supplies. Then when you get them you realize the faster or more frequent you brew you need to use those up so they are still fresh. Then you start realizing you are obsessed with brewing.And then a year later you realize you are still obsessed, but consistantly obsessed and more experineced. Ha

Back