leaky pot fix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
Okay so I have a really cheap 20qt ss pot ($10) and it is working just fine, except...

If the liquid gets too high it leaks out of one of the rivets holding one of the handles on.

Any thoughts on a way to remedy this?

Thanks.

The only remedies I can think of cost as much as your pot. I thought this one was a cheap, "in the meantime" solution for you...but here goes:

Good: Some high-temp food safe epoxy (I think JB weld is ok for this purpose)

Better: Drill the rivet out. Put a stainless bolt/nut through the hole with some washers and a couple of o-rings.

Better yet: Weld the handles on (gas or TIG).

Best: Get that new pot you've been eyeing.

Put the outside part of the rivet on a hard surface like a bench vise and smash the inside part with a ball peen hammer. It might just tighten it up. The JB weld idea is good too.

Yeah Yuri, it is only a "in the meantime" solution. Just wanted to make it slightly better.

I think I will try the hammering first and then the jb weld as those won't cost me anything.

I wasn't expecting much out of this pot, but for the price I can't complain so far, leak or not.

thanks again.

knights of Gambrinus said:
If the liquid gets too high it leaks out of one of the rivets holding one of the handles on.

Any thoughts on a way to remedy this?

Thanks.

DOn't let the liquid Get that high!:D

:drunk:

had the same problem with my turkey frier pot.
hammering the rivets worked great.
my better solution was a new 60 litre pot!
now my wort is 3" below the rivets

Easy solution...

Throw away the pot and get a new one.

Sounds simple, but the hole is there making more than problems with leaking... it may also flake or rust stuff into your wort.

Tony

Back