CP's Brew Chart 3.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey CP - thanks for the spreadsheet. Couple suggestions (some easy, some probably less so). 1st - it would be really nice if the cells in which user inputs are needed are highlighted a different color than the non-modifiable cells. 2nd - would be nice to have an option of doing a mash out prior to 1st runnings to increase efficiency. Finally, being able to print out a brew-day action plan would be awesome. As it stands, it is necessary to flip back and forth between the recipe sheet and brewday sheet to determine mash volume and temperatures. Anyway, really great stuff, so thanks!

I just enter all my numbers, vols, additions and times into the Brewday notes part, and print that off.

Tim

I just enter all my numbers, vols, additions and times into the Brewday notes part, and print that off.

Tim

That's a good way to do it. I typically just check back to the Recipe Sheet for anything I need. However, I do like the idea of adding the mash/sparge volumes and desired temps to the brewday sheet and will do so when I get a chance.

One thing to keep in mind for anyone using this. You can set your print area when attempting to print (I think that is probably what Tim is doing). I'll play with this a little more as I add these items to make sure it's set up for those that want to print it off. Not sure if I set a print area if that will map over to your computer or not, but I'll give it a shot.

cp

Looking forward to giving this a shot! Thanks CP!

Quick question: By what method do you guys integrate this spreadsheet into your record-keeping process?

I know some folks print off the Brew-day sheet that they could then stick into a binder. How about recipe workup...are you printing that up too?

Any suggestions if you wanted to keep electronic records? Maybe for each recipe or brew-day you save a separate version of the spreadsheet after filling in all of the relevant #s?

Just wonder how to get the most of it! Thanks....

Looking forward to giving this a shot! Thanks CP!

Quick question: By what method do you guys integrate this spreadsheet into your record-keeping process?

I know some folks print off the Brew-day sheet that they could then stick into a binder. How about recipe workup...are you printing that up too?

Any suggestions if you wanted to keep electronic records? Maybe for each recipe or brew-day you save a separate version of the spreadsheet after filling in all of the relevant #s?

Just wonder how to get the most of it! Thanks....

Good question.

I created a brew folder and have a folder within that folder for each style of beer that I brew (APA, Porter, Kolsch, etc...). You would do a "save as" and name it for that particular beer for each beer you brew and save it in that style's folder. That allows me to have a detailed record of every beer I brew while still having the original program for a new beer.

Hope this helps and if you have additional questions please don't hesitate to ask.

cp

Good question.

I created a brew folder and have a folder within that folder for each style of beer that I brew (APA, Porter, Kolsch, etc...). You would do a "save as" and name it for that particular beer for each beer you brew and save it in that style's folder. That allows me to have a detailed record of every beer I brew while still having the original program for a new beer.

Hope this helps and if you have additional questions please don't hesitate to ask.

cp

Thanks! That is pretty much how I figured you would do it.

Hey All,

I'm going to begin working on this thing again in the near future. I've already upgraded a couple of small items and will integrate some of the suggestions in the thread here as well once I get back at it.

Any feedback from users out there? Running into any challenges or issues? Anything you really like that you'd like to see expanded? If I spend time expanding the Designing Beers tab would you find it useful?

I'd love to get some additional thoughts on possible improvements you'd like to see if you have any. I don't have a lot planned at this point other than a few minor upgrades/additions. If there are any ideas out there I'd like to hear them.

cp

This, as it is now, is spot on. I really don't see how you can make it better, but thanks for trying.

I run all my beers through this, Beer Alchemy forMac and the iPad version, as well as brew target, and your numbers are what I check the others against.

Thanks for all the time and effort

Ti m

CP - which version is the latest? The one in the first post is a dead link, and the one in your signature is old? Thanks!

Justin

CP - which version is the latest? The one in the first post is a dead link, and the one in your signature is old? Thanks!

Justin

Hey Justin - The most recent thread for the workbook is here - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f84/cps-brew-workbook-260911/

However, that is probably old at this point as well. I'm in the middle of building a new house, but should be in by the end of February. Once we get settled I'm going to put the finishing touches on the latest upgrade.

I can actually email you the latest upgrade. It's not finished quite yet, but it's fully functional. Just need to do some maintenance/cleanup/minor additions to it before I publish it. Shoot me your email again via pm and I'll send it off to you.

cp

So its showing 4.13 oz of priming sugar for my 5 gal Cali Pal Ale. I usually drop a 3/4 tblspn into each bottle prior to filling. So trying to figure out how much of 4.13 oz needs to go into 48 12oz. bottles. Or should I just drop the 4.13 oz. into the priming tank?

So its showing 4.13 oz of priming sugar for my 5 gal Cali Pal Ale. I usually drop a 3/4 tblspn into each bottle prior to filling. So trying to figure out how much of 4.13 oz needs to go into 48 12oz. bottles. Or should I just drop the 4.13 oz. into the priming tank?

The workbook gives you instructions regarding bottle priming beer. This is essentially what it states - For 5 gallons of beer you would want to add your priming sugar to about 2 cups of water. Boil that solution for a moment and then let it cool. Add the solution to your bottling bucket and then rack the beer on top of it (being careful not to splash). You can then begin bottling your beer. I recommend lightly stirring the beer a couple of times while bottling to make sure it's evenly distributed.

Hope it goes well.

cp

Hey CP I have been reading this thread and your work book sounds awesome. I unfortunately don't have excel. I use open office for all my stuff. when I try to open your file it asks me what filter to use and gives me a ton of options. I have tried quite a few of the choices and haven't had any luck. Anybody have any suggestions?

Not sure how you would do that. I can email you a copy directly if that would help. It would still be in excel format, but maybe you'll be able to open it as a google or open office workbook?

Hey CP I have been reading this thread and your work book sounds awesome. I unfortunately don't have excel. I use open office for all my stuff. when I try to open your file it asks me what filter to use and gives me a ton of options. I have tried quite a few of the choices and haven't had any luck. Anybody have any suggestions?

In my experience, the Excel to Calc transfer is the worst in a poor line-up. Word to Writer is only barely tolerable, and it is simple by comparison. Spreadsheets can be converted (usually), but it requires a cell by cell rewrite of the formulas. I have had some simple ones work, but the visual formatting never transfers properly. You would be better off buying a home / student copy of Office for $100-$150. The unfortunate reality is that Microsoft does not play well with others ... which is too bad, because open office and libreoffice are free ... :(

I have never tried the Google Docs route, so if you attempt it please let us know what your success rate is.

Cody

Cory,

Just checking in to see how things are going.
You Brew Sheet is still my start point for all my recipe formulations.

Love the sheet, have it transferred to Numbers, and it works great!

Tim

Things are going well Tim. I've been away from brewing since early last fall. Had a lot of things going on with building a home and other stuff. Will be getting back at it this fall once the weather cools down a bit and I have my setup in place.

I'll be getting back after the workbook again around that time I'm guessing as well.

Hope all is well with you as well.

Cory

I feel ya, had some equipment issues that broke my spirit....
Moving to Colorado Ina few months, going to upgrad the equipment to an eHERMS and build a controller, so good times are ahead

Tim

Same here Cory, I have been using your brew chart since day one of all grain (26 batches). I hit my volumes and numbers perfectly every time. If you need any of us to test out a new version let us know. Appreciate the work you've done thus far, its really a great an easy system to use.

Time to go brew my first bitter, yipee

justin

All you CP Brewsheet users, sound off.

Cory is a lazy turd, and needs something to do....

What would you change? Improve? Add?

Tim

Never mind - I was able to click on the link in your sig, the earlier links, in the first few posts don't work.

Same here Cory, I have been using your brew chart since day one of all grain (26 batches). I hit my volumes and numbers perfectly every time. If you need any of us to test out a new version let us know. Appreciate the work you've done thus far, its really a great an easy system to use.

Time to go brew my first bitter, yipee

justin

Thanks Justin, really appreciate it. I'm glad you've found it to be as useful as I do.

I'll get back to the brewing here soon. Starting to feel the itch and with Fall coming up I have a feeling I'll be getting after it pretty good. At that time the brew workbook will be getting updated as well.

A bitter sounds like a great idea. Remember to keep the carbonation a little lower to keep it to style. One of my favorite beers.

All you CP Brewsheet users, sound off.

Cory is a lazy turd, and needs something to do....

What would you change? Improve? Add?

Tim

Tim, Tim, Tim... where would this project be without you :)

Please do put out any ideas/thought/etc... I look at all of them for consideration when I'm updating and many have been great additions to the project.

I am not able to download the file.
I get an error - file not found

(I inserted some spaces show it will show the path)

http: // rapidshare.com /files/448162486/CP_s_Brew_Chart_3.0.xls

I tried with IE and Firefox

Send me a pm with your email address. I'll shoot you a copy of the most recent version I'm in the middle of. The link is currently dead for now and will be until I get back to updating for the next version.

Anyway you can distribute this without someone needing to set up an account with 'rapid share'?
Thanks
Jerry

I really like this spreadsheet. If it were usable on my phone, I'd rank it #1 easily. My problem is that my PC is far away from my brewing spot. I may work on a mod to produce a brewday sheet that I could print to a pdf and use on my phone.

I really like this spreadsheet. If it were usable on my phone, I'd rank it #1 easily. My problem is that my PC is far away from my brewing spot. I may work on a mod to produce a brewday sheet that I could print to a pdf and use on my phone.

Thanks Guidry. Glad you think that highly of the workbook.

The brewday page should be setup properly to print everything you'd need. You can certainly print it as a PDF, but I'm not savvy enough to know how to make that PDF interactive where you can input numbers. I'm sure there isn't too much to it though.

Good luck and please let us know if you're successful.

Cory,

You know I was just bustin your b**lz....

Guidry, what platform are you using Android, iOS....

Also Cory, can you email me a copy, I want to test it on a few program's I have on my iPad

Tim

Using iOS now, but that may change in the near future. You have any workarounds? I've tried several apps to work with excel files but none will open the file.

Cory,

You know I was just bustin your b**lz....

Guidry, what platform are you using Android, iOS....

Also Cory, can you email me a copy, I want to test it on a few program's I have on my iPad

Tim

I know that Tim.

Just sent you the copy via email.

cp

On the iPad, I can open and move around with Numbers. Although it does not support the linked cells. I would guess that you could do all your work on a computer, then just save the completed brew sheet and open it on your device. I can't test this right now, my pc is in Colorado, and I am still in Belgium.

Tim

Good news. In the midst of selling a house last Fall I made a beer. While moving I stored it in a friend's basement and totally forgot about it (we were in the middle of building a new home for a few months). It's been fermenting/sitting there for almost a year. Remembered it yesterday and grabbed it from him. Probably won't be as good as it could have been since it's been sitting in warmer temps than I'd like, but it's on gas right now getting primed for tasting. Funny thing is, I don't even know what it is. My computer went down about 6 months ago and my wife had it cleaned before she knew I had docs/stuff I wanted to save. Pretty sure it's an Amber I was making as a session beer for friends when they come over. Guess I'll find out here soon.

I'm getting the itch again to get after it. As soon as it turns fairly chilly I'll be brewing and updating the workbook.

I'm not seeing this.. all I see is a Rapidshare page.. ???

I believe the link is dead right now Bill. Send me your email via pm and I'll send you a copy directly. Once I get the next update done I'll be re-posting a link.

Edit - Actually, the link is working. I just checked it. You need to choose the middle option of Save File to Computer by hitting the Download button. Otherwise, send me you email and I'll send you a copy of the version I'm working on right now. Both are very similar.

cp

On the iPad, I can open and move around with Numbers. Although it does not support the linked cells. I would guess that you could do all your work on a computer, then just save the completed brew sheet and open it on your device.

Hey Tim,

Any chance you can share that Numbers file? I'm also a mac and iOS guy and can't open this .xlsx file...

Thanks guys!

For the first time in over a year I am brewing today. Will be using the workbook and making any necessary adjustments to help improve it. Just mashed in and the strike temp/mash temp worked perfectly once again. Just like riding a bike :)

Decided to begin the new year it was best to kick it off with an Imperial IPA. Here's to it turning out :mug:

Hey guys - Send me a pm with your email addresses and I'll shoot you a copy via email. Once I make upgrades that are worth posting a new version I'll start a new thread dedicated to that version.

cp

Back