Bulk Grain Group Buy (Indianapolis, In)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brrman

Reaction score
Hey guys

I am considering a drive up to Mid Country Malt with my little trailer in tow. Wanted to know if anyone was wanting to go in on a bulk grain buy.

I, myself, am looking to get a couple bags of 2-row and a bag of Marris Otter. Also want to split maybe a sack of Crystal 60, and other specialty grains. I participated in the Hop bulk buy with The Pol and it went great. I'm really hoping to get enough interest to split some sacks of specialty grains.

I will take orders from people in a location that's on my route from S. Chicago to Indianapolis. (that being relatively close to I-65).

Post here so I can gauge interest!
cheers
Bryan

http://www.northcountrymalt.com/home.php?cat=200&menu=true

On the site you have to click the Maltster Brand, then the specific malt link (the malt name) and select "55lb" in the drop box and you will see the price for a sack.

Here's a basic spreadsheet that hopefully will grow as people want to add to it. There are other maltsters available on the website and lots of different grains.. I will add to the spreadsheet on request.

GrainOrder002.jpg

interested, but broke. if you want to try again in the future, let me know. i plan on taking a trip there myself. i just don't know when i'll have the $ for it.

I am all for group buys but my only problem with a grain buy is not having a grain mill. If you ever put together a hop buy, let me know.

I'm interested when are you going ? Kinda busy atm, kid graduating and family coming into to town. But I'm getting close to finishing up my stand and will need something to put in it.

I am all for group buys but my only problem with a grain buy is not having a grain mill. If you ever put together a hop buy, let me know.

I have enough hops to last me a year or more thanks to The Pol.

I'm interested when are you going ? Kinda busy atm, kid graduating and family coming into to town. But I'm getting close to finishing up my stand and will need something to put in it.

Well, I was thinking about going in a couple weeks, but I can always postpone it and simply buy a bag of 2-row at the local shop to tide me over. When do you think you would be game?

Pretty much anytime after Memorial day weekend. Two of the four kids will be gone and I should have the brewstand done/mill bought by then.

I can tell you I'll probably want 5-6 bags. I did a little looking around and it seems the Country Malt group sets the lowest bulk discount at 2000lbs. Not sure you are gonna get that kinda response or that you are gonna really want to transport a literal ton of grain.

2000lbs will overload my trailer...

I can transport a decent amount. I will have to cap it at some point. But I'd have no problem carrying 900 lbs. Your order will take a good 1/3 of that. lol
I want at least 3 full sacks plus any part-sacks of specialty, so that doesn't leave a whole lot of room for more. Couple more people and we would be good to go.

Damn, I wish had read this thread about two weeks ago. :( Thanks for the heads up, though, and please keep posting, especially if you're thinking about doing another bulk hop buy.

I might be in for a bag of 2row and possibly split some specialty grains, pending a barley crusher purchase.

Well, I think I am gonna be busy for the next couple weekends. I will check in later this week to see if that still holds.

I know it's been several months since you posted this, but I'd be interested in a bulk buy if you plan on doing another (or haven't done the first one). I have another friend that may be interested in a bag or two as well. I'm right between Chicago and Indy, so it should be pretty easy to meet up on your way home. I'd also be interested in splitting some specialties.

If it happens soon i'll be in for at least one bag, likely two. I'm already running really low on grain, so it would have to be in the next week or two.

I'm gonna try calling Country Group today and see what the bulk rate shipping would be to a commercial loading dock. I hook the warehouse manager here at work up with a growler now and again so I'm sure she wouldn't have an issue with me having a pallet shipped here if the cost is low enough. I would love to get this going, just don't have the time/desire to do an 8 hr road trip for it.

Aight so Country Malt Group is a no-go they merged with a homebrew supplier and are not currently accepting homebrew customers, they will however consider orders of 40 bags or more. That being said I'm going to try calling Sun King and see if I can work something out with them as I've heard stories of local micro's helping out homebrewers in this way.

Sounds like a plan to me. Let us know what you find out. It would be interesting to know the price of 40 bags. Could we get that much interest?

cwilliams108, I'm about 15 minutes away from Mid Country Malt and would be very interested. I don't have a huge amount of storage, but I would be interested in a bag of 2 row and a bag of munich. I suggest creating a new thread and throw Illinois in the title also as there seems to be quite a few that met up at Mid Country Malt about 2 months ago. I'd be happy to meet up there to help out.

yeah guys - I would suggest starting a new thread - this one was started a year ago. I no longer have any intentions of going to Mid country since they stopped serving home brewers. We could also ask Great Fermentations if they would cut us a deal if we ordered a pallet of grain.

Seems this thread is revived occassionally, that being said was a new thread in re a bulk grain buy ever started. I too would be interested

This is the latest thread for a Bulk Grain Group Buy that I can find in Indiana. I'd be interested in a bag of 2-row and would consider splitting any specialty malt as well. I live near Bloomington and work in Indianapolis so I'm pretty open to location. Thanks!

I'm all stocked up for now but would be interested in a group buy next fall if anyone is making a list. I've been getting mine from great fermentations when the great grain sale is on. Hopefully a group buy can beat that out. I get 300-400 lbs of base malt and 30-40 lbs of specialty grain a year.

I am interested in a group buy and could commit to 4-bags + extras. I would be willing to peddle a bit too in order to get the ball rolling for this group buy. Maybe I will send an email out to a few friends this week for an early January order.

Sounds good. I just moved to Indy and hope to get back to brewing once we close on our house in mid January. Looking for at least a bag of MO or 2 row. Possibly split some speciality malts.

Anybody actually doing this anytime soon? I would be interested in a sack or two of base grain for sure.

Back