18th century porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jager

Reaction score
I know porters are somewhat beaten to death on these forums but has anyone tried to make a porter from just pale, amber and brown malts? It would taste pretty rough but with some serious aging I think it would be drinkable.

I've seen multiple recipes in books using each in a 33% ratio, do you guys think american 2 row pale or 6 row would be able to convert 66 or 67% non diastatic malt, now granted it wouldn't be quite that much as amber is usually listed as having 20 degrees lintner.

Would it be a waste of time and malt to pursue such a recipe?

Dave

At the last Brew Crew meeting someone brought a keg of Brown Porter that was mostly Brown malt. It was FANTASTIC! I'm planning on getting the recipe.

As far as conversion goes, if you can't find fully converted brown malt, you can use a longer mash time. I'd play it safe and use 6-row in that case.

You may also consider using a pound of rauch to give it an more authentic smokiness.

Back