Round MLT false bottom, perforated vs. slotted.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anastasis

Reaction score
1st post...searched for this topic but didn't find any discussion of a slotted false bottom implemented in a round cooler.

Getting back into all-grain. My previous setup was a rectangular cooler with a copper manifold. That cooler bit the dust, and I went back to doing mini-mashes. Decided to build a new MLT and want to do a round rubbermaid conversion. I plan on doing fly spargins, so I'm looking at the false bottoms. Most of the false bottoms out there are perforated, but I ran across this one with slotted holes rather than the perforated. From what I understand slots are more resistant to stuck sparges, but has anybody used one of these or have any other thoughts. The slotted manifold is more expensive than the perforated ones, so I am wondering if the practical difference really justifies the added expense.

Any thoughts?

web%20site%20stuff%20006.jpg

12-stainless-steel-false-bottom.jpg

I use perforated ones, and think they're wonderful.
The only stuck sparges I've had were my own fault, and happened many years ago with a Phils Phalse Bottom (plastic). I don't think I could stick a sparge with the SS one even if I tried.

-a.

So- I see this if three years old- same question for me- anybody else with experience care to chime in? I think the slots look sexy and borrowed a friend's false bottom to try and found that particulate matter that was smaller than the holes in the false bottom went through. I skimmed them out, but don't want to have to do that on the regular, so am curious about the slotted ones!

I use a perforated stainless steel one in my keggle mash tun with no issues

Back