Kreik sediment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monsterbronc

Reaction score
I have a Lambic Kreik brewing right now, and I found that using cherry puree might have been a mistake,

I have tons of sediment, I tried to rack it a second time after three weeks in the secondary, and found the bottom 4 or 5 inches is syrupy goop, and impossible to leave behind without leaving behind amost 1/4 of my batch.

will this stuff eventually settle into a cake? or will it always stay loose? :tank:

Im not a perfectionist, and sediment in my beer just seems natural to me, but I dont want an inch of mush in my mug KWIM

smells absolutely intoxicating though :drunk: (no pun intended)

All the Lambics I've made over the years have used real fruit. But, I have used puree in other batches (non-lambics). How was it when you racked it from primary to secondary? Lambics need a lot of time to reach perfection, so let it sit for at least a year or more. Of all the Lambics I have made, they stayed in secondary for about 2 years or more. It is a long time to wait, but well worth it.

I just made my first kriek yeststerday, with fresh tart cherries and a cup of trader joes 100% tart cherry juice. I look forward to future rewards!

Have you tried chilling the beer? That might help to get the goo to settle out. I did a cherry doppelbock with puree, and I don't remember the sediment being much of an issue at that low temperature.

I bottled it this weekend, actually, followed directions with the kit. used 1/2 cup honey to prime, and I used a fine mesh bag to filter the gunk. lost only about a quart or so, next time im useing whole crushed fruit.

It took so long for anybody to reply, I figured it out on my own, it had cleared out, (took a couple weeks longer than the directions said) so I moved on. I used the Dawsons Kreik kit from northern brewer

Its got a wild tang to it,(no pun intended) really overpowering, I hope thats what mellows with age. also it might not be so bad with carbonation. smells blissful though.

Did I bottle it too soon? should I pour it back out, and forget about it for a while? I need my carboy, but I can split it into gallon jugs if I need to.

When did you brew it? What is the gravity now? The microbes responsible for making a lambic take a long time and normally get the gravity very low (<1.008) before they are done.

Sorry, I kinda took to "Not taking grav readings lately" It recenlty bit me though, Ive got some way overcarbed mead.

I think Im just gonna forget about it for at least 6 monthes, and try some in the fall. I know ferm had stopped though, the airlock had equilized, thought the yeast might be dead cuz it sat too long, so I plopped a teaspoon of sugar in it to check, and got a little plume of bubbles the next day, so in the bottle it went.

Latest posts

Back