Where to find an electronic enclosure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimWeber

Reaction score
I am trying to find a good electrical enclosure for the brew rig I am designing. Eventually I plan on automating the entire process. So lots of SSRs. I am wondering where everyone else purchased enclosures. I keep searching ebay, automation direct, mouser, tyco trying to find the bigest one I can without have to pay an arm and a leg for it. I am starting to think I might just build it out of lexan and angle brackets and silicon caulk.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Right now my prototype control box is a Home Depot gasketed box, about 6X6X4. It cost $20 bucks though, a lot for it's size I think. I want to get one that is like 24x36x8.

I should have gotten one of those polycases, a bit cheeper than what I got.

I am trying to find a good electrical enclosure for the brew rig I am designing. Eventually I plan on automating the entire process. So lots of SSRs. I am wondering where everyone else purchased enclosures. I keep searching ebay, automation direct, mouser, tyco trying to find the bigest one I can without have to pay an arm and a leg for it. I am starting to think I might just build it out of lexan and angle brackets and silicon caulk.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Call a local irrigation installer. they might be able to order an OEM enclosure for an irrigation controller. Not sure of the cost, but it could be worth it as they are gasketed for outdoor use.

Such as:
ir_sc_intelli_l_lg.jpg

Other than that, try a local electrical distributor for an outdoor enclosure. Odds are it will be rather pricey.

Edit/Update: You can order weather resistant enclosures from Campbell Scientific, but they start at $200. Example:
enc1012-s.jpg

http://www.campbellsci.com/enc-10-12

Right now my prototype control box is a Home Depot gasketed box, about 6X6X4. It cost $20 bucks though, a lot for it's size I think. I want to get one that is like 24x36x8.

I should have gotten one of those polycases, a bit cheeper than what I got.

Are you mounting the SSR's inside the enclosure? The SSR's used to switch large loads need heatsinks and really need to be mounted outside the enclosure for the heatsinks to shed that heat.

Call a local irrigation installer. they might be able to order an OEM enclosure for an irrigation controller. Not sure of the cost, but it could be worth it as they are gasketed for outdoor use.

Such as:
ir_sc_intelli_l_lg.jpg

/QUOTE]

I install irrigation systems and most of those boxes have so much crap inside (built in interior walls etc) to mount the actual controller it doesnt leave much space at all. Atleast with the hunter irrigation controllers.

Such as:
ir_sc_intelli_l_lg.jpg

/QUOTE]

I install irrigation systems and most of those boxes have so much crap inside (built in interior walls etc) to mount the actual controller it doesnt leave much space at all. Atleast with the hunter irrigation controllers.

Ah good to know. I was thinking you could possibly order just the box without all of the stuff. Good to know.

I just built my embedded controller enclosure out of an old desk top PC case. I used and old 80mm fan and some aluminum stock from HD for a SSR heat sink mount, the fan blows air over the heat sinks. I was able to use the mounting screws for the mother board to put it all together.

I can take some Pictures when I get home. I have not brewed with it, but I tested it and every thing works fine and the SSR done get hot after running a load for a few hr. We'll see how it works this weekend running 1500w 120vac element for 2hr.

I was thinking you could possibly order just the box without all of the stuff.

You can by just the box at Home Depot.

I am currently working on a small brewing project with an irrigation plastic box I purchased a few months ago.

RainBird brand
100_0068.jpg

100_0069.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I will be mounting a whole bunch of SSR's in the enclosure. So I will need to put ventilation in it.

I saw that shipping, and changed my mind. I suppose that where they get you, cheep price, high shipping charge.

You probably won't need heat sinks on those SSR's or ventillation unless you're running a large pump or high draw device. For standard solenoid valve or March 809 pump you should be fine without. You can always tap and mount a muffin fan later - I'd get at least a 6" deep enclosure if you really think you'll need one.

You can not have ventilation and a waterproof enclosure. One thread at a time I am going to pull you all away from this crazy SSR kick that you are all on. Use a power relay; it needs no heatsink, costs less and will last 10x as long!!

Grab you phonebook, and look up your local electrical distribution places. Look for Rexel, Graybar, Wesco. Those are the big three in order. Tell them that you need a nema 4/12 enclosure and you are willing to use a gasketed PVC box based on price, but you would still like a price on a painted mild steel enclosure with latches to compare. I always recommend using the steel box with the back panel so that you ahve no screw going through the box anywhere. My control box as it stands is cabable of having an entire keg of water dumpped on it and it will not stop functioning nor will it ever place me at risk of electrical shock. Lots of the examples I have seen on this site scare me as they are using standard recptacles, or toggle switches that offer 0% protection from shock with a little water.

If you want me to give you distributor pricing on some different size pvc or steel enclosures shoot me a pm with the sizes and I will give you ammo to go out shopping with. Distributors are always negotiable.

You probably won't need heat sinks on those SSR's

If you go without a heat sink go with a SSR with build in 6 mm heat sink mounted on a back panel.
This is what I do, still read the data sheet.
Derating might be required.

013.jpg

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Use a power relay; it needs no heatsink, costs less and will last 10x as long!!

My opinion about relays.

Electro mechanical relays have two ratings.
Mechanical service life & electrical at rated load.

Here is an example 782 series Magnacraft relay.
10,000,000. Mechanical cycles
200,000. Electrical cycles at rated resistive load

16A rated relay used with a 14 A load won’t last to long in a temp control application.

If you use the same relay to drive a SSR which requires a few mA, the service life gets close to the mechanical cycles, big improvement.

My edit:
Long life relays for temp control are the mercury wetted type.
Many older molding machines are equipped with the mercury type.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

I picked up a 12x12x6 for 33 less a 15% discount yesterday should be plenty of room to expand

Someone on this forum is actually giving me a spare enclosure, I forget the dimensions but it's something like 20x16x6. SCORE!

But this brings up another question. I was going to mount a fan in the enclosure, knowing that would void a NEMA rating. But now it sounds like I don't even need a heat sink??

I am building my brewery in stages. Eventually I want full automation. Currently I will just be regulating a 1500w RIMS and 1500w heat stick in the HLT. The won't be on at the same time since I am running off 120VAC 15A breaker . I am going to control the process with the BCS460 I just purchased. Right now I have two of those cheep Chinese SSRs mounted to heat sinks. Are the heat sinks not necessary?

I am currently modeling up my entire set-up and creating all of the wiring and plumbing schematics. I have the RIMS and I am testing it on a prototype structure. I'll start a build thread when I have more to show.

Are you mounting the SSR's inside the enclosure? The SSR's used to switch large loads need heatsinks and really need to be mounted outside the enclosure for the heatsinks to shed that heat.

Not really. I have a 50A SSR running a 7.2kW heater @ 240VAC in my HLT and even at 100% duty cycle only sees about 125°F max.

IMG_8812.jpg

Not really. I have a 50A SSR running a 7.2kW heater @ 240VAC in my HLT and even at 100% duty cycle only sees about 125°F max.

IMG_8812.jpg

Dude that control panel layout is SICK!!! What is the size of that box and how scared are you going to make me when I ask what the cost was. I am getting ready to dive in head first with my EHERMS and that is exactly what I want the inside of my panel to look like. Nice and clean, Nice work!!

Back