Cheap Uncrushed Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yah, the malt is like $42 and the shipping is the same... I am eternally thankful that I can get 2 row for $27 for 55 pounds.

Rahr 2-Row Malt (by the pound)

Items: $42.30
Calculate Shipping & Handling

Shipping (FedEx Express (FedEx Express, FedEx 2 Day)): $42.53
Handling:
Subtotal: $84.83

Yah, the malt is like $42 and the shipping is the same... I am eternally thankful that I can get 2 row for $27 for 55 pounds.

Are you buying huge quantities from Mid Country, or is their catalog just out of date?

I'm seeing $34ish

They offer me FedEx Ground and also FedEx 2 Day. That's the problem with your shipping price quote.

I am really not trying to make this a fight of any form, but there are a few problems with your numbers, as well.

You are right, ordering say 55 lbs of rhar 2-row did offer me $20 fedex ground shipping, which together came out around $66 dollars, a good price.

The problem comes in when i then tried to order another 50 lbs of maris otter WHen i did that, the only shipping option i had was fedex express and it costs $87 on top of the $107 for the grains.

With brewmasters warehouse it's $6.99 for shipping the 55 lbs of 2-row or $6.99 for shipping the combined grain orders.

You are right, ordering say 55 lbs of rhar 2-row did offer me $20 fedex ground shipping, which together came out around $66 dollars, a good price.

The problem comes in when i then tried to order another 50 lbs of maris otter WHen i did that, the only shipping option i had was fedex express and it costs $87 on top of the $107 for the grains.

Then order the two bags separately.

With brewmasters warehouse it's $6.99 for shipping the 55 lbs of 2-row or $6.99 for shipping the combined grain orders.

Yeah, but BMW is going to charge you $85 for a bag of Maris Otter ($1.55*55)

I order a ton of stuff from BMW, but not bulk grain. Shipping should go down (per lb) as you order more stuff, and BMW's flat shipping is just built into their bulk grain prices, so shipping stays flat.

Buying specialty grains in semi-bulk from BMW is a great idea though.

$1.65/lb with $7 shipping, or $2.50lb locally, with 11.25% tax? Only gotta buy about 4lbs to come out ahead.

I'm not trying to compare them to any one. I just said they have good prices. I've used BMW and he's great. I've not useed rebel and can't comment on the service, but they do seem to have a better selection and I'd pay a little extra for Rahr over Briess.

Are you buying huge quantities from Mid Country, or is their catalog just out of date?

I'm seeing $34ish

No, bought a single sack for $27... you must be looking at an outdated price there.

I notice B3 has Great Western (it's good stuff) two-row in 5# bags for $1.12 a pound ($5.62 a bag.) Over $59 ships free. $61.88 for 55 lbs (a sack is just 50 lbs.) I like the way they have changed their grain sales method. But then when I order a sack it ships next day...

No, bought a single sack for $27... you must be looking at an outdated price there.

Awesome. I'm pulling the catalog from their web page, but I'm pretty sure it's been the same file for a couple months atleast. Even cheaper grain :ban:

So I put together nearly the same order for Morebeer and Rebel Brewer. Morebeer is $2.50 cheaper.

B3 gave all the beers in my recipe pull down ribbons in the last competition that they hosted (two of them are blues!) They can have my business. :D

So I put together nearly the same order for Morebeer and Rebel Brewer. Morebeer is $2.50 cheaper.

B3 gave all the beers in my recipe pull down ribbons in the last competition that they hosted (two of them are blues!) They can have my business. :D

After shipping and taxes, and how fast I get it always causes me to order from them instead of elsewhere. People in the middle, east, south, or north will likely have different experiences. I envy those close enough to pick up 2 row sacks for $32, no shipping!

It is a couple hour drive to get to the malt, but for $27 (55lbs) for quality 2-Row and say $36 (55lb) for quality Pilsner malt it is worth it.

Sure, I can pay nearly 2x as much locally for bulk sacks of Briess and save the drive, but it is a much lower quality malt than Best Malz at about double the price. I dont mind road trips.

I am actually planning to have abother bulk malt and hop buy for Indiana brewers in 2010. Splits are welcome!

Awesome. I'm pulling the catalog from their web page, but I'm pretty sure it's been the same file for a couple months atleast. Even cheaper grain :ban:

Yeah, the price dropped. When we got our bulk buy in May it was $27.53 per sack. Everything else was pretty much the same price in the catalog. Although, none of the prices in the catalog were exactly right. All the rest of the stuff we ordered was +/- $0.75 from the catalog price.

+1 North County Malt if you're in the northeast. $42 for a single 50lb sack of 2-row shipped to my door, which is about $20 cheaper than the LHBS's price. If I bought a pallet full, it probably would have been much, much cheaper per bag, but then I'd have to pay an emergency room copay when my wife stabbed me in the face for buying that much grain.

I am buying in bulk from the Mid Country with no shipping charge, so I am lucky at $.65/pound for basically anything I want. But... item price means little when you add shipping.

50 pounds Briess 2-Row (no BULK discount) from BMW shipped (flat rate) is $64.49

50 pounds Rahr 2-Row at the BULK discount from Rebel is $84.83

You can always beat somone on item price, much harder to do on SHIPPED price, which matters.

I guess it depends on where you live. The $84.83 sounded high so I tried to figure out where you live.

Our Rahr 2-row goes for $42.30 a bag.
Shipping to Seattle = $37.08 ($79.38 order total)
Shipping to Los Angeles = $32.56 ($74.86 order total)
Shipping to Brooklyn = $22.18 ($64.48 order total)
Shipping to Indianapolis = $16.76 ($59.06 order total)
Shipping to Atlanta = $16.76 ($59.06 order total)

Throw in a half a pound of Cascade at $1.39/oz and you're getting a pretty good deal.
Anyway, I really don't want to ship whole bags anyway, if you are ordering whole bags, you should go with one of the flat rate guys, especially if you live really far away from them.

Thanks,
Tom

I'll be checking this out today! :mug:

Update on the GFS special order for Briess 2-row. The sales associate that does special orders for our cafe couldn't find anything by Briess in the computer or in the special order book.

:(

I guess it depends on where you live. The $84.83 sounded high so I tried to figure out where you live.

Our Rahr 2-row goes for $42.30 a bag.
Shipping to Seattle = $37.08 ($79.38 order total)
Shipping to Los Angeles = $32.56 ($74.86 order total)
Shipping to Brooklyn = $22.18 ($64.48 order total)
Shipping to Indianapolis = $16.76 ($59.06 order total)
Shipping to Atlanta = $16.76 ($59.06 order total)

Throw in a half a pound of Cascade at $1.39/oz and you're getting a pretty good deal.
Anyway, I really don't want to ship whole bags anyway, if you are ordering whole bags, you should go with one of the flat rate guys, especially if you live really far away from them.

Thanks,
Tom

I live in Indianapolis... it was the shipping. The website ONLY offered FedEx 2 day service to me, which is pricey. I buy at MidCountry Malt, as it is driveable for $27 - $35 per 55 pound sack for imported malts. I was just making a comparison for people on the cost of shipping vs the item cost.

The flat rate guys pricing on sacks isnt great either, because the sack costs about 2x as much as it does from a warehouse. You are paying no matter what, whether the item cost is low and shipping is actual, OR the shipping is flat rate and the item cost is high. Seems to always work out that way.

But yeah, when I went to your site a cpl weeks ago, there was one shipping option at checkout for my zip, that was FedEx 2 day... thought that was odd.

Update on the GFS special order for Briess 2-row. The sales associate that does special orders for our cafe couldn't find anything by Briess in the computer or in the special order book.

:(

You can get higher quality than Briess for less if you shop the malt warehouses.

There is as glitch with the FedEx server where it will sometimes not return a Ground Shipping quote (I've been round and round with them). And it will never return a Ground shipping quote if the weight is over 70lbs (it assumes that everything will be shoved in one box). I wish they would fix that, I am sure we lose orders because of it. Typically if there is a cheaper option we will use it and refund the difference.

There is as glitch with the FedEx server where it will sometimes not return a Ground Shipping quote (I've been round and round with them). And it will never return a Ground shipping quote if the weight is over 70lbs (it assumes that everything will be shoved in one box). I wish they would fix that, I am sure we lose orders because of it. Typically if there is a cheaper option we will use it and refund the difference.

That does suck, because $48 to ship will kill an order, especially when the buyer doesnt know that there is a glitch.

Back