Kind of beer for someone who doesn't like hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave6187

Reaction score
I absolutely love hoppy beers, but my gf hates most beers that she's tried. She thinks they taste too bitter, etc. She found the DFH 60min tolerable, but that's about it. I know I can't really make a beer without hops, but does anyone have some advice on a beer to try making for her? I was considering maybe like an apple wheat or something w/ fruit added to it..

You could make a Wheat beer. They are usually low in hops and IBUs. Hefeweizen (sp?) would be a good bet, and would have an nice fruity and spicy flavor. Plus, you can usually ferment them pretty quickly with a good yeast.
Another good beer girl friendly beer is a Belgian Wit, like Blue Moon, or Hooegarden. Also low in hops and IBUs but flavorful. I've notice most people that don't like hops or bitter beers usually love these beers.

See if she likes Guinness Draught (low carbonation, coffee flavor (what woman doesn't like coffee), and lower perceived hop bitterness)

Or you could try: Scotch ales (smoky not hoppy), Belgian Wits (women love these in my experience), a fruit beer (maybe soured a bit), mead, or EdWort's Apfelwein.

Any kind of wheat beer should do it. They tend not to be highly hopped, in general.

A really nice Hefe, maybe?

I just made a VERY nice one. That keg will not last long. I'm brewing an 8 gallon batch of wheat this weekend. 5 gallons will be used to make a cherry wheat, and the other 3 gallons will be an American Wheat in one of my 3 gallon kegs.

:mug:

If she thought DFH 60 was tolerable, you are better off then you think.

I too agree a hefe or wheat would do good. So would BM's Centennial Blonde (from personal experience with SWMBO)

I agree with JMD. BM's Centennial Blonde Ale is a great, light drinker for BMC drinkers. Although the hops are present and able to be tasted, they are subtle. If you're looking to stay away from hops, I would also HIGHLY recommend this recipe:

www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/cream-three-crops-cream-ale-66503/

Good stuff! The SWMBO doesn't even like the Centennial Blonde due to the hop aroma and flavor from the Centennial hops. She LOVES the Cream Ale I made using the above recipe. She finally confessed that one of her favorite beers is Natty Light... Uggh.. But this cream ale is very light with little to no hop flavor or aroma. Very easy drinking and quick to make as well!

I don't know about the wheat beer idea. Many perceive the yeasty flavors as bitter and off putting. My wife doesn't like them and they aren't my favorite. A malty English Pale Ale or an Irish Red would be a good choice. Also, the suggestion of a Cream Ale is a good one.

Another idea would be to slowly work her towards hoppy beers by making something hop friendly, like an Amarillo Pale Ale.

See if she likes Guinness Draught (low carbonation, coffee flavor (what woman doesn't like coffee), and lower perceived hop bitterness)

Or you could try: Scotch ales (smoky not hoppy), Belgian Wits (women love these in my experience), a fruit beer (maybe soured a bit), mead, or EdWort's Apfelwein.

My SWMBO doesn't like coffee. She also doesn't like bitter beers. I have made a couple fruit beers that she liked, so I'd recommend something along that route.

Gah, I have friends who think all my beer is bitter, just because I like hoppy beers. I made a centennial blonde and they thought it was still too bitter. One of them even drinks coffee. Go figure.

Oh well, I know better.

I would go w/ a scotch ale or if that is too much, make a nice mild ale. They are easy to drink and contain little hops (just some to balance flavor).

Milk stout is a good style for girls who think they don't like beers (if you're looking for something beyond a fruit beer). My last gf wound up not liking too many beers, but she was surprised she liked jet black sweet stout.

Back