With not enough corn sugar for priming, can I blend with cane sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
I've got 3 oz of corn sugar and I need 5 (roughly) to get the the desired 2.7-2.8 volumes of carbonation on my Wit. Can I simply make up the rest with an equal volume Cane sugar? If not, how can I determine how much cane sugar to add to make up the rest? thanks in advance.

I've read somewhere that there is not difference between corn sugar and table sugar when it comes to priming, it's all completely fermentable. i wish I'd read that before I went and bought a bag of corn sugar for $6.

Also, I started to save wort to prime with because I'd read that malt extract results in smaller carbonation bubbles and I didn't want to shell out another $6 for priming sugar. Then I read that all carbonation bubbles get smaller over time. I wish I'd just used table sugar for all my brews. When I use up the corn sugar, I'm going to use table sugar.

However, I'm a newbie. This is just what I've read. I've only ever used corn sugar and wort to prime. I've noticed no difference between those two.

Cane sugar will work fine, even if you use only cane sugar for priming it won't affect the flavor, there is so little sugar compared to the amount of beer you are putting it in. Do use the priming calculator as I think you use a slightly different amount when using regular sugar.

Cane sugar is 100% fermentable compared to 92% for corn sugar so you'll need 1.8 ounces of cane sugar to make up the difference. The beer will taste the same regardless of which one you prime with.

Tom

Back