Damnit! Why did i have to open the lid on fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BearsWickedBrew

Reaction score
I'll just get straight to the point: Is it possible for an ale yeast (Wyeast #1335) to go dormant at around 50 degrees F and show "ZERO" signs of fermentation about 24 hours after being pitched?

Im still using my wicking tshirt trick...and man did I cool down my fermenter a little too much. On the plus side- I realized i might be able to lager with this method this time of year..so i might try it.

I opened the fermenet and in the middle...this was a circle..comprised of smaller circles...white little circles the size of pennies. I thought of great....my first infection...but upon close inspeciton...it looks like these were verrryy tiny white bubbles....but very akward looking pattern of it.

Also, I was not impressed with my smackpack..I didnt use a starter..but i let it sit for several hours...and it was not as swollen as it usual is.

Those smack packs say they need to sit for 1 to 7 days. When i use them i usually let it sit for about 2 or 3 days before it swells up to the right size.

Ahem...we call it Noobitus...

THe answer is YES it is possible to have no action 24 hours after pitching...you didn't happen to notice this sticky at the top of this here beginner's beer forum did you???

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/fermentation-can-take-24-72-hrs-start-43635/

That basically sums it up....It soundslike your Krauzen's just about getting ready to start...So

Stepaway_copy.jpg

Everything's fine.....it usually is....

:mug:

Edit...I just went back and re-read something I missed before if it's 50, you are at the bottom end of the temp range for ales...I would warm it up to the 60's and it should take off....

1 to 3 days? Every Wyeast packet I've ever used has said 2 hours! I think I've always pitched within 3 hours and they've worked just fine.

kcstrom

This was the first time ive used wyeast, i got this one from williams brewing. I usually get white labs from my LHBS. I thought it was wierd that it said let it sit out for 1 to 7 days... hopefully all is good.

1 to 3 days? Every Wyeast packet I've ever used has said 2 hours! I think I've always pitched within 3 hours and they've worked just fine.

kcstrom

Agreed. They have "Activator" and "Propagator" packets. Perhaps that's leading to the confusion. The "Activators" (I believe) are the regular smack packs, that are now saying right about 3 hours.

This is like the 8th batch since I started brewing this summer.... when I'd see the "patience is a virtue"...and "your beer is fine" posts....I'd think to myself...ha..those aren't for me..Im not a noob anymore. Guess I was wrong.

This is the 1st time I've even opened the lid so soon....it was the perfect storm...I was a little more lax on sanitation (even tho i know im being paranoid)... smack pack didnt swell like it usually does. Lesson learned.

This is like the 8th batch since I started brewing this summer.... when I'd see the "patience is a virtue"...and "your beer is fine" posts....I'd think to myself...ha..those aren't for me..Im not a noob anymore. Guess I was wrong.

This is the 1st time I've even opened the lid so soon....it was the perfect storm...I was a little more lax on sanitation (even tho i know im being paranoid)... smack pack didnt swell like it usually does. Lesson learned.

And why do you think we say it over and over and over and over????

Because based on most of our experience, those beers turn out fine, once the brewer slows donw, relaxes and waits :D (and have you ever tried to contmplate the sheer amount of brewing experience on here...even just the mods and the handful of civilain regulars like myself who devote so many hours to helping people, we're not pikers here:D)

Read these while you are waiting....Plenty of stories as to why in here...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/has-anyone-ever-messed-up-batch-96644/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

And why do you think we say it over and over and over and over????

Because based on most of our experience, those beers turn out fine, once the brewer slows donw, relaxes and waits :D (and have you ever tried to contmplate the sheer amount of brewing experience on here...even just the mods and the handful of civilain regulars like myself who devote so many hours to helping people, we're not pikers here:D)

Read these while you are waiting....Plenty of stories as to why in here...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/has-anyone-ever-messed-up-batch-96644/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/wh...where-your-beer-still-turned-out-great-96780/

Haha...good point. 1 thing that I've always tried to keep in the back of my mind...my grandfather makes wine every year from fresh grapes....uses only hot water from the faucet to clean bottles and equipment...doesn't add any yeast to the wine or anything....and every1 that drinks his wine...thinks its the greatest...& strongest wine...they've had.

Granted...thats wine and this beer...so not everything is the same...but the same...relax & don't worry moral applies.

Back