useing copper for a brew pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grinder143

Reaction score
A friend says he can make me a copper brew pot .any draw backs. mot really sure how he can do it but said he could do it and make it so an electric heat element could be fit. i would assume it will work fine since most microbrew places use it. he owns a sheetmetel shop and does a lot of copper work. Perhaps he thinks square . we will see how the still he is makeing me turns out.

It shouldn't be a problem as long as you clean it after each use with something mild that wont corrode it. Plus, if you polish the outside of it, you will have a beautiful shiny copper kettle!

A friend says he can make me a copper brew pot .any draw backs. mot really sure how he can do it but said he could do it and make it so an electric heat element could be fit. i would assume it will work fine since most microbrew places use it. he owns a sheetmetel shop and does a lot of copper work. Perhaps he thinks square . we will see how the still he is makeing me turns out.

Is your friend interesting in making and selling a smaller, no-frills copper pot? My wife has been wanting one for cooking.

:D

It'll work just fine, actually copper is good in the boil, something about it giving off some yeast-food.

It'll work just fine, actually copper is good in the boil, something about it giving off some yeast-food.

I think it has to do with ions (positive ions) or something like that.

It has more to do with than yeast. Most top quality stills are copper because of what it does during the boil off.

(Well, not just because. Also cause it's the best/most even heat dissipator).

...I was a chef before a CPA. ANyway, copper is an excellent conductor of heat so you can get a pot to boil fast. ...down side is oxidation so the pot will never look good.

A little heat (burner) and a mild acid solution in a spray bottle (starsan) with a damp rag will keep her pretty shiny!

I agree, I little elbow grease at cleaning time and that will be one sharp looking brew kettle!!!!

Unlined copper causes complex sugars to split into simple sugars during a cooking process, effectively making invert sugar, at least in candy making. Not sure if this would have the same effect with the malt sugars though. If it does, your yeast would have a ready supply of easy to digest sugar from the get-go.

Back