My Own Private Fermentarium

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

japhroaig

Reaction score
So, a couple months ago my wife actually encourage to convert one of our outbuildings into basically our own private British pub, along with a dedicated area for brewing. Suffice to say, I do anything she asks for now :)

IMG_0936.JPG

Just finished laying down new vinyl flooring in the fermentarium and brewing room, which is basically an enclosed patio with sliding glass door. When brewing, I have the door all the way open with a fan running, just in case. I am gonna get a carbon monoxide sensor one of these days, just to be on the safe side.

IMG_0938.JPG

The actual brew setup works wonderfully. I have a pump on order so I won't have to manually move sparge water to the hot water tank at the top, but besides that it's all gravity fed. There's a little video of it working at the bottom, since this is what it looks like when it is all put away.

IMG_0939.JPG

So far I just have one tap working in the bar, but shortly I'll be getting two more and a couple of conical (plastic) fermenters. Not sure yet where they are gonna go, but I'll make room.

IMG_0941.JPG

I now have proper tubing and better sparging equipment in place, but even in this video of the previous incarnation of this project it worked amazingly well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, the name comes from my wife who had a really, really weird dream the first time we were in Scotland. And yes, it was about dancing badgers :)

Great name! I've just been supping a pint of Badger brewery's Sussex ale in a country pub here in West Sussex in the south of england :D

I gotta say, the DIY section here is quite dangerous. I keep seeing things and thinking to myself, 'Well, I could do that' :)

Hey another Eugene brewer!! I just got started, brewed my first batch 5/9. Good to see another local on this board :)

Go Ducks!!!

I will post a pic of the sign my wife just painted for me, but first it's off to home depot for more supplies. The biggest problem I forsee is cooling the area in the summer. It has two rooms with a total of ~270 square feet. Any innovative suggestions?

I will post a pic of the sign my wife just painted for me, but first it's off to home depot for more supplies. The biggest problem I forsee is cooling the area in the summer. It has two rooms with a total of ~270 square feet. Any innovative suggestions?

You could almost get away with an 8000 btu air conditioning unit (12,000 to be safe) mounted on the wall. How good is the insulation in the building? I have a 6000 btu unit in my fermenting room but is half the size (minus the pub part :( )

You could almost get away with an 8000 btu air conditioning unit (12,000 to be safe) mounted on the wall. How good is the insulation in the building? I have a 6000 btu unit in my fermenting room but is half the size (minus the pub part :( )

The insulation is pretty crappy, especially since it basically has one wall that's all glass. I think it would probably be insane to add an AC unit until I get that worked out, methinks.

The only part that really needs to be cooled is ~90 square feet, so I'm still on the fence about just mounting the conical in a temp controlled fridge, or cool the whole dang place. I can see advantages and disadvantages to both, but I have a couple months to decide before the gates of hell are unleashed.

Back