dry hopping effects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minduim

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm thinking about dry hopping an Ale with northern brewer pellets.

How does dry hopping affects the beer aroma and flavour?

Is it possible to add the bittering hops at 60' and eliminate the flavour and aroma additions during the boil, then dry hop, and achieve the same results as if the hops were boiled? I read somewhere that dry hopping imparts aroma and flavour, but it is not clear if it is possible to remove the flavor/aroma steps from the wort boiling process without negatively impacting the end product.

Dry hopping will not achieve the same results as the boil additions. They will increase the flavor and aroma almost exclusively, but the boil additions also have an impact on the bitterness.
Removing the late boil additions will definitely effect the final product pretty significantly.

... eliminate the flavour and aroma additions during the boil, then dry hop, and achieve the same results as if the hops were boiled? I read somewhere that dry hopping imparts aroma and flavour, but it is not clear if it is possible to remove the flavor/aroma steps from the wort boiling process without negatively impacting the end product.

I guaranty you will not like the results (based on an experiment). Boiling extracts different oils and more of them. Dry hopping gives you the lightest and most aromatic oils.

Back