My first from scratch beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barman84

Reaction score
I love wheat beers so I figured I would try one.

Here is what I put together
6 pounds dried wheat malt
0.5oz czech saaz hops for 60 minutes
0.75oz liberty for 30 minutes
1oz liberty 5 minutes before rest

nottingham dried yeast

1oz sweet orange peel 15 minutes before rest.
4oz of organic sugar cane sugar 15 minutes out trying to give it more alc.

I boiled up from 110 degrees to 156 over the hour.
built my own wort chiller and brought it back down to 78 and slowly added 1.5 more gallons water in primary fermenter temp was 78 degrees boiled this water first. Added the wort vigourously and then pitched the yeast stirred it all up and closed. It has been fermentinig for 1 whole day and already my airlock vodka a greenish brown and is bubbling like mad. I replace the vodka earlier to just keep it clean.

What do you guys think this might taste like? O and sg was 1.056 I thought that was kind of high.

I love wheat beers so I figured I would try one.

Here is what I put together
6 pounds dried wheat malt
0.5oz czech saaz hops for 60 minutes
0.75oz liberty for 30 minutes
1oz liberty 5 minutes before rest

nottingham dried yeast

1oz sweet orange peel 15 minutes before rest.
4oz of organic sugar cane sugar 15 minutes out trying to give it more alc.

I boiled up from 110 degrees to 156 over the hour.
built my own wort chiller and brought it back down to 78 and slowly added 1.5 more gallons water in primary fermenter temp was 78 degrees boiled this water first. Added the wort vigourously and then pitched the yeast stirred it all up and closed. It has been fermentinig for 1 whole day and already my airlock vodka a greenish brown and is bubbling like mad. I replace the vodka earlier to just keep it clean.

What do you guys think this might taste like? O and sg was 1.056 I thought that was kind of high.

A couple of things strike me- the first is what to you mean "boiled up from 110 degrees to 156 over the hour"? Boiling is well, boiling, and well over 200 degrees, so I'm confused.

The saaz hops might be very low aau %- do you know what they were? Mine are only like 2.5%, so you'd have almost no bittering if yours were also that low.

4 ounces of sugar only raises the OG of your wort by .002 so it won't give you much in the way of additional ABV- about .15% or so- but it won't harm anything anyway.

As far as taste, it depends on the saaz hops you used. If they are as low AAUs as I think they might be, you've got yourself a very sweet tasting wheat beer. Probably not bad at all- just very sweet.

The OG seems to be right on for your recipe.

Thanks for the information I know they are pellets I used part of a recipe from a book How to Brew I just replaced with Czech and added sugar and orange peel. The original called to start adding the malt at 110 and let it get to 150.

A couple of things strike me- the first is what to you mean "boiled up from 110 degrees to 156 over the hour"? Boiling is well, boiling, and well over 200 degrees, so I'm confused.

The saaz hops might be very low aau %- do you know what they were? Mine are only like 2.5%, so you'd have almost no bittering if yours were also that low.

4 ounces of sugar only raises the OG of your wort by .002 so it won't give you much in the way of additional ABV- about .15% or so- but it won't harm anything anyway.

As far as taste, it depends on the saaz hops you used. If they are as low AAUs as I think they might be, you've got yourself a very sweet tasting wheat beer. Probably not bad at all- just very sweet.

The OG seems to be right on for your recipe.

I would have added some barley malt, about a third of the grain bill, more or less. I think most wheat beers use that ratio.

Your beer will probably be fine.

My first "from scratch" was:

6lb LME (65% Wheat, 35% Barley)
1.5lb 2-row
1lb white wheat malt
.5lb pale wheat malt
.25lb roasted 2-row

1.5lb corn sugar

Danstar Munich German Wheat Beer Yeast

1oz Hallertau pellets (3.9%) @ 60 min.

It came out a little hot, after I added 5lbs of cherries, I got a FG of 7.5%.

Wow I thought about putting in some whole pieces of oranges but shrugged it off. Could that be a possible way to get the orange flavor I am looking for? I nkow this one is going to come out dark but its my first attempt. My next one I will try for a lighter color your recipe sounds pretty interesting as well.

I would leave out the corn sugar. I was aiming for a high ABV, because I thought adding a gallon of cherries pulp to the secondary would water the alcohol down. Instead, it started fermenting again, raising the ABV. It is a good batch, but STRONG.

Next time, I will cut the ABV, chill the beer before racking, and secondary cool. I got a little "wine" taste (just a little) that I want to avoid.

Back