CO2 splitter and force carbonating 2 kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enohcs

Reaction score
I have one CO2 keg and a splitter going to two kegs. Let's say I want to force carbonate both kegs at 10psi. Am I going to get expected results setting my regulator to 10psi? why do I think I need to set it to 20psi?

Engineers...this is your territory.

psi stands for pounds per square inch... so, 10psi is 10psi, regardless of volume. pressurizing both kegs to 10psi will take more gas, but it will still only require the regulator to be set to 10psi.

Granted, I have never kegged, so my information is coming from my general understanding of pressure. You might want to wait and see if anyone who has actual experience to chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

psi stands for pounds per square inch... so, 10psi is 10psi, regardless of volume. pressurizing both kegs to 10psi will take more gas, but it will still only require the regulator to be set to 10psi.

Granted, I have never kegged, so my information is coming from my general understanding of pressure. You might want to wait and see if anyone who has actual experience to chime in and correct me if I am wrong.

This is correct. The regulator will measure the total pressure being put on the beer, regardless of how many times you split it. It will use twice as much gas though.

is there a good set-up to split them? I hate to pay the price at the LHBS for their splitter. I would like to hook up my own and be able to turn off the gas before the tube to the keg.

is there a good set-up to split them? I hate to pay the price at the LHBS for their splitter. I would like to hook up my own and be able to turn off the gas before the tube to the keg.

If you're not worried about being able to turn one or the other off, then a simple plastic of SS tee will work just fine.

Go to the local hardware store and find a brass tee and three nipples to fit your gas line. I made mine for about $4.

I may get a brass splitter and then see if I can get a shut off valve for the line. that should accomplish the same thing.

Go to the local hardware store and find a brass tee and three nipples to fit your gas line. I made mine for about $4.

That's what I have. Split it for 4 kegs. I can't individually control the kegs, but I've really never needed to.

I got my manifold at the store for 40 bucks, I hated spending that much for something I could build, but its nice has shut off's which I use a lot! Also it has a plug on one end so I can add on another manifold at anytime. Something to be said about the ability to upgrade easily.

I may get a brass splitter and then see if I can get a shut off valve for the line. that should accomplish the same thing.

I missed the part about you wanting shutoff valves. I already had a set of 1/4" NPT check valves and used that on my splitter. You really should use check valves instead of regular valves. That way if you ever screw up and put the gas on the wrong post or fill a keg past the gas dip tube you won't get beer all through your lines. The check valves are a touch expensive at $5-$10 a piece. So $25 for a 2-way manifold with check valves from kegconnection isn't a bad deal.

This is correct. The regulator will measure the total pressure being put on the beer, regardless of how many times you split it. It will use twice as much gas though.

Question - does it actually use 2X the gas that it would normally, or are you indicating that it will use 2x gas since you now have 2 kegs set up (meaning they are both using the normal amount of gas totaling 2x)

OR:
2kegs * 2x gas = enough gas for 4 kegs (waste)
2kegs * 1x gas = enough gas for 2 kegs

Question - does it actually use 2X the gas that it would normally, or are you indicating that it will use 2x gas since you now have 2 kegs set up (meaning they are both using the normal amount of gas totaling 2x)

OR:
2kegs * 2x gas = enough gas for 4 kegs (waste)
2kegs * 1x gas = enough gas for 2 kegs

You use 1 keg's worth of gas per keg, no matter how many kegs are hooked up.

So say you need 0.7 lbs CO2 to carbonate ONE keg at 10 PSI and 40F. You need 1.4 lbs CO2 to carbonate 2 kegs at 10 PSI and 40F.

In your terms, 2kegs * 1x gas = enough gas for 2 kegs.

I have a split gas line with no check valves, and I have a question about when I have to switch out a keg. When I had only one keg, I would seat the lid by hitting it right away with 30 psi and then drop it back down to 10 or so to 'set and forget'. With my dual set up, do I need to unhook both kegs when I do this, or can I leave the one still hooked up? How will that affect that keg that is still hooked up? Also, if I do unhook both, will the gas disconnect seal the line while I seat the lid of my new keg or do I need to worry about doing that some other way?

Back