Too Much Oxygen???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimiGibbs

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just transfered my first batch from my primary to a secondary glass carboy after 6 days. The kit came with a racking cane but I decided to purchase an auto siphon. Just before time to transfer I realized that the hose diameter was different. Local HB store was closed so I went to the hardware store and purchased some clear tubing and cleaned and sanitized well. Although it felt like a good fit, when I went to syphon, there was a lot of air getting in at the top. I know this is not what you want but HOW BAD IS IT???? Is there anything I can do? Should I still plan to bottle after 2 more weeks or should I just write this off to experience? I thought things were going so well ....
Thanks,
Jimi Gibbs

Don't worry about it. IMHO you won't get enough oxygen absorbed in the beer from a slightly leaky hose to make a noticeable difference.
"Is there anything I can do?"
- Relax, and anticipate the final product. You could also get the right sized hose for next time if you want.

"Should I still plan to bottle after 2 more weeks "
Yes

"or should I just write this off to experience?"
Absolutely not. Most of my brews have minor things go slightly wrong, but it usually doesn't make much difference to the final product.

-a.

I've had similar experiences and got away with it, you will know after it comes out of the carbouy. I wouldnt worry about it, make the descission after a couple of weeks. Just to be on the safe side, if you go ahead and bottle treat it as running beer, and dont put any aside, just drink it as normal.

...learn to relax and go with the flow.:D

I wouldn't bet a plugged nickle that any of us who brew regularly ever brew without a hick-up of some sort. You just have to learn which ones to really worry about and how to correct it ASAP.:D

Latest posts

Back