Oatmeal Stout Flapjack Breakfast Stout (Chocolate-Coffee-Oatmeal-Maple Imperial Stout)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm making the Founder's Breakfast Stout from these forums and using some of the recipe ideas from this thread. In the OP of this thread it says to add cacao nibs and vanilla @7 days, is that 7 days after brew day? I have the vanilla beans soaking in bourbon right now, is it necessary to boil the nibs or can i throw them into the bourbon and then toss them in or will I not get enough extraction that way?

Then add coffee beans 3-7 days before bottling?

Ive always boiled the nibs and vanilla beans in a bit of water for a short period to get the best extraction. I've usually added them after a week or so of fermentation and just leave them in until bottling. Havent had an issue similar to what people report from leaving dry hops in too long. You could put them in bourbon but it will just take mroe planning since youll need to let them sit in it for a while for extraction

The coffee Im always sure to add a few days before bottling because ive found it can get very strong the longer you leave it in

Sounds good. I've had the vanilla beans in bourbon for about a week now, put them in on brew day. I haven't had much success getting the amount of vanilla I've wanted 4 different beers now, so maybe boiling with pull out more and get it where I want. I'll try your method tonight, i'll just put the nibs, vanilla beans and bourbon that the beans have been in with a little water, boil that and then toss it in for 2-3 weeks, that will be almost a month in the fermenter.

Will that be too soon to add the coffee beans for a few days, bottle and then let it sit for a couple months?

nah that timeline looks fine. I think my last one was just under a month in the fermentor

Greetings and Salutations from Korea!

I'm a newbie homebrewer (third ever beer, second ever all grain, just went into secondary last week, and this is my first post on any beer forum), and I'm looking to try this beer out. Unfortunately, in the Land of the Morning Calm, you take what Western things you can find, and you thank the brew gods you've found them!

The homebrew websites in Korea don't have:

Coffee malt (no substitute found)
Carafa III (but they do have Breiss Black Patent)

Also, two row is available, but I'm thinking of using Vienna rather than pawning a kidney and a lung for that much two row. Thoughts?

It might also be worth noting that both chocolate and dark chocolate malt are available. If anyone wanted a good laugh you could peruse the malt selection online. The two big boys here are craftbrewer (co.kr just roll over the menu on the left and English will eventually pop up) and seoulhomebrew (com).

I'm a newbie homebrewer (third ever beer, second ever all grain, just went into secondary last week, and this is my first post on any beer forum), and I'm looking to try this beer out. Unfortunately, in the Land of the Morning Calm, you take what Western things you can find, and you thank the brew gods you've found them!

Also, two row is available, but I'm thinking of using Vienna rather than pawning a kidney and a lung for that much two row. Thoughts?

It might also be worth noting that both chocolate and dark chocolate malt are available. If anyone wanted a good laugh you could peruse the malt selection online. The two big boys here are craftbrewer (co.kr just roll over the menu on the left and English will eventually pop up) and seoulhomebrew (com).

US 2 row is used because it is cheap in the US. In a beer with tons of specialty malts, the base malt isn't extremely important imo so just use what is available to you.

The carafa III here is dehusked, so using black patent will give you a more bitter, roasty beer. It's not the best substitution to be honest.

yeah agreed with above. Vienna may work out better if you want more maltiness so thats fine. Realyl any base malt will work. Maris Otter, Golden Promis, Halycon, etc...Pilsner may be a bit too light and thin but the other grains will cover it up

You can use black patent instead fo carafa but it will be more roasty. I used a debittered black malt to offset the roast flavors from the coffee. But if roast is your thing go for it. Other debittered black malts are blackprinz, midnight wheat, and perla negra

Thinking about brewing this to pass out as Christmas/New Years gifts. I'm wondering if I got quart mason jar and put my cocoa nibs, coffee beans, vanilla beans, oak cubes and topped it up with bourbon and let sit for a month. Then just add that mixture to secondary. I wonder if it would come off to strong?

Im thinking the coffee might be too strong. IME you get the best coffee flavor from whole or coarse crushed beans into the fermentor but it does get stronger the longer you leave it. Everything else I think would be fine. I would think that the amount of coffee flavor would be stronger the higher %abv you have it sitting in so I would do the coffee like a dry hop and do everything else in your tincture. Either that or reduce the coffee to 2oz or something and adjust from there. But even then I might be worried about harsh tannins like if you leave even a weak pot of coffee on for long periods

Im thinking the coffee might be too strong. IME you get the best coffee flavor from whole or coarse crushed beans into the fermentor but it does get stronger the longer you leave it. Everything else I think would be fine. I would think that the amount of coffee flavor would be stronger the higher %abv you have it sitting in so I would do the coffee like a dry hop and do everything else in your tincture. Either that or reduce the coffee to 2oz or something and adjust from there. But even then I might be worried about harsh tannins like if you leave even a weak pot of coffee on for long periods

Yeah your probably right! I've seen people getting bitterness from adding coffee in the boil, I just have not seen any results of someone soaking the beans in a tincture.

yeah agreed with above. Vienna may work out better if you want more maltiness so thats fine. Realyl any base malt will work. Maris Otter, Golden Promis, Halycon, etc...Pilsner may be a bit too light and thin but the other grains will cover it up

You can use black patent instead fo carafa but it will be more roasty. I used a debittered black malt to offset the roast flavors from the coffee. But if roast is your thing go for it. Other debittered black malts are blackprinz, midnight wheat, and perla negra

So, in that case could I use black patent instead of coffee malt and some blackprinz instead of carafa?

So, in that case could I use black patent instead of coffee malt and some blackprinz instead of carafa?

Yeah sure, its your beer after all. The carafa>blackprinz wont really change much. The coffee malt>black patent should create a noticeably more roasty stout

Is the 1lb maple syrup 16oz or actually weighing a lb out? How much volume is a pound of maple syrup?

What yeast is everyone using, 1056 or 001? Fermenting at 67-68? Recipe looks great, I will definitely try this one out...

Sorry in my iPad I did not see the first paragraph of the recipe -

Yeast:
WLP004 Irish Ale / Wyeast 1084
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): ~3wks @ 64-66

Questions addressed.

Last edited:
Is the 1lb maple syrup 16oz or actually weighing a lb out? How much volume is a pound of maple syrup?

I bought a container thats net weight was 16oz. Most maple syrups Ive seen are only 12oz though. Not sure how many fluid ounces it was

For the yeast, any clean american or not-too-fruity english yeast would work fine. The more recent versions ive made have been using Irish Ale yeast (guinness)

I bought a container thats net weight was 16oz. Most maple syrups Ive seen are only 12oz though. Not sure how many fluid ounces it was

For the yeast, any clean american or not-too-fruity english yeast would work fine. The more recent versions ive made have been using Irish Ale yeast (guinness)

yeah I saw that 1 gallon of maple syrup weighs about 11.163 lbs or something. so about 12.9 oz is about a pound. I am going to use that.

I added 16 fl. oz. of maple syrup 72 hrs after pitching yeast. That is around 1.4 lbs. We'll see how it tastes soon!

So the maple syrup will add fermentables to the wort so how do u figure that into the overall abv of the beer. Do you mash higher knowing the ft will be lower once you add the maple syrup and I'm assuming it's real maple syrup so it's pretty much all sugar. Curious as I want to do a maple syrup version of my Bba RIS at some time.

So the maple syrup will add fermentables to the wort so how do u figure that into the overall abv of the beer. Do you mash higher knowing the ft will be lower once you add the maple syrup and I'm assuming it's real maple syrup so it's pretty much all sugar. Curious as I want to do a maple syrup version of my Bba RIS at some time.

No idea. I know its not entirely fermentable, kinda like honey. But I just use this brewing tool to design my recipes. It has an entry for maple syrup in the grains with a ppg and everything
https://brewgr.com/homebrew-recipe-calculator

No idea. I know its not entirely fermentable, kinda like honey. But I just use this brewing tool to design my recipes. It has an entry for maple syrup in the grains with a ppg and everything
https://brewgr.com/homebrew-recipe-calculator

Hmm guess I didn't think of it at the time I wrote the question but I also use beersmith and I'm sure it has maple syrup as an adjunct that will automatically figure into the overall make of the recipe, like when I use dme in my Ris to bump up the overall og.

Stumbled onto this recipe from someone on BA who said they brewed this and it tasted really similar to MD/Good Morning. To those who brewed this, can you comment on the similarity? I'm planning on brewing this in the Spring but I'm not a fan of coffee beer so can I leave out the coffee addition and add more vanilla and/or maple syrup?

Hey guys,

Pretty new to home brewing and was hoping for a little clarity on the cocoa nib and vanilla bean addition. You said you boiled in 150ml of water then cooled and tossed in. Did you also add the water to the beer or just the nibs and beans?

Thanks for your help!

Hey guys,

Pretty new to home brewing and was hoping for a little clarity on the cocoa nib and vanilla bean addition. You said you boiled in 150ml of water then cooled and tossed in. Did you also add the water to the beer or just the nibs and beans?

Thanks for your help!

I boil them to both sanitize and quickly extract the flavors . I add the water and all the nuns and vanilla into the fermenter since a lot of the flavor is now in that solution of water4k

Thinking about brewing this to pass out as Christmas/New Years gifts. I'm wondering if I got quart mason jar and put my cocoa nibs, coffee beans, vanilla beans, oak cubes and topped it up with bourbon and let sit for a month. Then just add that mixture to secondary. I wonder if it would come off to strong?

I really like this idea, and plan to leave the coffee beans out of the mason jar due to everyone's concerns. Do you boil the bourbon to eliminate the alcohol prior to putting everything in the mason jar?

@m00ps What type of syrup are you using? Pure Vermont grade X or is it Aunt Jemima off the shelf in your local mega-mart stuff? I'm guessing the type of syrup is going to make a big difference in the way this ferments out.

@m00ps What type of syrup are you using? Pure Vermont grade X or is it Aunt Jemima off the shelf in your local mega-mart stuff? I'm guessing the type of syrup is going to make a big difference in the way this ferments out.

I just used a Vermont Grade B Organic. Looking on Amazon, Id use any grade that isnt grocery store regular just bc u dont know how the various preservatives etc will affect the beer.

I am thinking of brewing this recipe this weekend. Can anyone who's brewed this comment on the bitterness level in the original recipe? I am a little worried it will be under bittered given how big this beer is.

Ive used the grains from the Founders Breakfast Stout Clone recipe, but using some techniques of this recipe.
Added Cocao powder during boil and will add Mapple syrup, cacao nibs and coffee beans.

Will report back how it turns out

Ive used the grains from the Founders Breakfast Stout Clone recipe, but using some techniques of this recipe.
Added Cocao powder during boil and will add Mapple syrup, cacao nibs and coffee beans.

Will report back how it turns out

Patiently waiting. I'm looking to brew this in a few weeks.

Patiently waiting. I'm looking to brew this in a few weeks.

Took a sample. Tasted really good. Smells like dark fruit and roasted coffee. Alcholic taste which will age away i guess. Little chocolate flavour on the background, no vanille. Ill wait a few days hoping for the cacao and vanille to come trough and taste samples now and then.

Took a sample. Tasted really good. Smells like dark fruit and roasted coffee. Alcholic taste which will age away i guess. Little chocolate flavour on the background, no vanille. Ill wait a few days hoping for the cacao and vanille to come trough and taste samples now and then.

So no maple?

Just signed up for this forum...and found this recipe right off-whats great start!!

I have not brewed in ages-like 20 years and am going to start again.

Regarding the recipe, as I am up in NH I am thinking of using one of the ultra-darks to give the best flavor possibility. My neighbor across the street makes his own and I will be this spring. Until then, I will be using his.

Thanks for the inspirations!!:mug:

I had 10K's Maple Black just last month and am trying to copy it and since the discussion here is about Maple, I thought I would bounce this off of you all.

I added real fire reduced maple syrup sourced locally from good friends of mine and it has ALL the mapley goodness you expect BUT in a Stout, it becomes something I dont care for.

Going back to the brewer, I am told to use Brewers Best Natural Maple Flavor to get the nose and the maple flavor.

Has anybody tried this?

Time to necromance this thread, but curious to those who have tried a tincture, what type of bourbon are you using?

I'm debating between using a tincture and just dropping everything into the fermenter.. trying to weigh options but curious how it turned out with a tincture?

Thanks

Back