Is it Overkill???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kicary

Reaction score
When I prepare my bottles for brewing, I hand wash them with warm water and 2-Star, then I put them in the dishwasher on 2 cycles (1st one with some 2-Star, then another cycle with no sanitizer etc) Then after they dry, and when I am ready to use them for bottling I run them through another sanitizing rinse (just plain water). Is this overkill????

The last step should be a sanitizer. If your water has any microbes in it then they can infect your beer. Personally I just do a hot water rinse and then sanitizer and beer. I'll oxiclean or pbw if they are nasty but I rinse as I drink so they rarely are.

I clean mine then run them through the dishwasher on a normal cycle with a sani rinse and have never had any problems.

The last step should be a sanitizer. If your water has any microbes in it then they can infect your beer. Personally I just do a hot water rinse and then sanitizer and beer. I'll oxiclean or pbw if they are nasty but I rinse as I drink so they rarely are.

pbw??

Back