5 gallon portable kegerator, anything new?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenais

Reaction score
I'm going to build a portable kegerator to hold a 5gal corny. I've seen the 3gal coolers builds and they are awesome, what is not awesome is the price of the kegs. Has anyone seen any coolers or plastic bins that will hold a 5gal corny? I've seen the monster trash container build and its cool and all, I just need something smaller. I have an extra 5# CO2 bottle I'm going to incorporate.

My plan for now is to build an insulated wood frame and make/find the right size waterproof container to go inside. Thinking 2" of rigid insulation and enough extra space to hold the keg and 5-10 lbs of ice. Any good ideas are appreciated.

What brand is your cooler? From what I've seen the 10 gallon cooler are only 18" tall inside. Cornies are 25" tall.

I'm working on a removable extension for mine. It currently hold two 3 gallon kegs.

PDR_0185_2_.jpg

The extension will go between the bottom and the lid, raising the lid enough that 5 gallon kegs will fit.

I tried some 2" foam board, but it's too thick. So, back to to using some plywood and 3/4" foam.

Back