Mash / Lauter Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhaas66

Reaction score
Can I use a 5 gal Mash Lauter Tun and do ? batch sparging? Using only one cooler ?

I am new and would like to start partial Mini Mashes and don't know if I can do them in a full 10 cooler.. Too big..

Thanks..

Yes I do think that a 10 gallon cooler would be too big for partial mashes. I would use the 5 gallon. And yes you can do batch sparging with only one cooler, as long as you have a decent size brewpot and something to catch your wort (other than your brewpot because you will need it for heating sparge water)

Then I need another pot or another container..

Plastic bottling bucket do? Hmmm

Batch Sparging.. Lightly pour 170 degree water as the wort is draining through the grain bed?

dhaas66 said:
Then I need another pot or another container..

Plastic bottling bucket do? Hmmm

Batch Sparging.. Lightly pour 170 degree water as the wort is draining through the grain bed?
Yes, you can use a plastic bottling bucket to hold your wort until your brewpot is empty. Be careful when transferring it back to your brewpot to avoid aerating it. Hot side aeration is a possibility and not a good thing. Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about HSA but I thought I'd make sure you were aware that it is a possibility. Just pour it as gently as possible into the brewpot and you should be fine.

No, that's fly sparging. Batch sparging is completely draining your mash tun, adding 170 degree water, stirring, waiting 10-15 minutes then draining again.

Back