Spunding Valve Construction For Corny Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...once the parts are in hand..

Aye, there's the rub.

I had the parts in hand but they didn't effing work.

I've just placed an order with McMaster-Carr for a valve that will work.

Thank God for beer, I need one after this.

I recently bought the same spunding valve from more beer only the pin lock version. After reading the recent posts about the trouble Octavius is having I decided to test mine out before I use it to naturally carb my beer in the keg. Mine works fine. With the valve completely closed it didn't bleed off any CO2 at 20psi. I had to unscrew the valve a lot before it would start to bleed at all. I have it set to just south of 15psi and will leave it on there for a few hours to see what happens.

Octavius it appears that your valve is defective but it is supposed to function how you expect not what the moron from more beer is claiming. Sales guys should never F with an engineer. If you haven't already try some keg lube on the rubber seal and see if that fixes it.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390670705.462919.jpg

Aye, there's the rub.

I had the parts in hand but they didn't effing work.

I've just placed an order with McMaster-Carr for a valve that will work.

Thank God for beer, I need one after this.

Good luck. Hope this gets easier for you.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Home Brew mobile app

Crane,
I'm not messing with the thing - it's boxed up waiting for the RMA. I wouldn't trust it anymore, even if I could getting working with a bit of lube. I'm sure the McMaster valve won't give me trouble - should be here by Tuesday.

Curtis,
Yeah, like you say it isn't rocket science - once I have the parts it will be pretty easy assemble and use.

Thanks for the posts.

Does anyone have a line on a fitting that goes from the threaded pseudo-flare on the connector to a 1/4" NPT male thread?

I'd like to make my set up solid rather than have a flexible hose between the connector on the corny and the T/gauge/valve assembly.

I looked for something similar and couldn't find one. I ended you brazing a few pieces together.

Does anyone have a line on a fitting that goes from the threaded pseudo-flare on the connector to a 1/4" NPT male thread?

I'd like to make my set up solid rather than have a flexible hose between the connector on the corny and the T/gauge/valve assembly.

Is this what you are looking for? Your "connector" comment was unclear...
McMaster #50675K162"Brass 37 Degree Flared Tube Fitting, Straight Adapter for 1/4" Tube OD X 1/4 NPT Male"
Hope this helps...

I searched high and low for that, I'm not sure it's available. I ended up brazing a barbed compression fitting to the side of a tee.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390882492.775938.jpg

I had a discussion with someone from MoreBeer yesterday and it turns out that their APRV is tuned to hold 4 psi BUT they make a 10psi and a 20psi spring for these things! I ordered two of the 20psi psrts and we will see what happens...

I used the morebeer spunding valve and it is very difficult to set a specific pressure. And once you do get it set, just looking at it will throw it off.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394380710.616137.jpg

I ended up ordering the valve and gauge recommended in the main pressure ferment thread and that works so much better.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394380842.728949.jpg

I found one, at a local specialty hydraulics/fittings supply house... none of the big box stores had them... called a swivel nut I believe. Cost about 7 bucks.

1400546164488.jpg

It's probably a low pressure spring though. Weird that it is stainless, most I've seen are brass...

Waking up an old thread....

I went ahead and built 3 of these. They passed my initial tests with CO2 pressurized kegs, except that I don't think the flare fitting is right. Are you sure its a 37 degree flare? Also wondering why a flare fitting and not just a hose barb? Not sure it buys anything here except more pieces.

Back