Which of the following yeasts for an Extra Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tincob

Reaction score
I posted this in the beginner forum but this location might be more appropriate. :mug:

I have an AG Guinness Extra Stout clone kit coming in and have the following yeasts sitting in my fridge (washed).

• Wyeast American Ale 1056
  • Wyeast Scottish Ale 1728
  • Danstar Nottingham
  • White Labs English Ale WLP002
Which would be most suitable for this extra stout and at what fermentation temperature?

I checked the Wyeast and White Labs websites and to a degree, any of them could work. If anyone has had experience brewing an extra stout with any of the above, I would be glad to hear about your results.

I have a keg set up but I think I'm going to bottle these and let them age a while.

Thanks

I've used the Irish Ale with good results, but with your options I would go with the English Ale. I love Nottingham for big Baltic Porter type beers, but I don't think the it is going to impart much flavor that you want in this.

Interesting. In the beginners brewing forum, most of the comments were directed toward the Notty.

The English Ale yeast is currently being used to ferment an ESB. It would be easiest if I were to pitch the extra stout onto that yeast cake in about a week. Hmmm... decisions, decisions.

Back