Brown film on top of carboy.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

durbanpoison

Reaction score
I've read the "is my beer ruined" section so I have no intention of throwing this batch out. I'm just wondering if it's something normal that happens all the time or what. It's on the inside top of the carboy above the liquid. At first I thought it was just condensed foam from the run-off period but after all the foam died down the film got bigger as if it's growing on it's own. I figure since it's not actually touching the beer it might not affect the flavor. I can get pics if need be but I figured I'd try without them first. Thanks for any help.

definitely show us some pics. from the sounds of it its normal dried karasen you seeing. but pics are needed for an accurate diagnosis.

Did it look like this:

538596655GZvKLt_ph.jpg

If so, that's just the Krausen ring. Beer often looks and smells nasty at this stage, but it's always good in the end.

hpim0669dm.jpg

Here it is, I started on 02.19.2010. I first assumed it was the run off foam but after that died down the film was half the size it is now then the next day was the size it is now. There was no pic in your post businesstime. Thanks for the quick replies.

Not sure if the pic worked, didn't show up on my screen after I posted so here's the URL http://img687.imageshack.us/i/hpim0669dm.jpg/

Saw the pic, no worries, as Tipsydragon and businesstime state, that's just the dried krausen ring. That's the way it's supposed to look! It's normal and it happens almost every brew.

Awesome. I wasn't too worried but I'm glad to hear it's normal. Especially after all the things that went wrong while brewing. Thanks again everyone for the replies and promptness.

Thanks. It's actually a brown ale straight outta one of Papazian's books. Elbro Nerkte Brown ale. I think I may have used a darker crystal malt than needed, but the recipe didn't specify. Either way I agree, it looks dark and delicious.

Back