SN Kellerweis Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lando

Reaction score
Anyone know what this yeast strain is? I have a sixer of it that I am enjoying and was debating on trying to harvest and use in my next hefe.

We have a yeast strain that is from a very small Bavarian brewery, and we are the only American brewery using this truly unique yeast. Here’s the story in a nutshell:

Several years ago, we started working with a unique Bavarian Hefeweizen yeast strain. This amazingly flavorful yeast was so exciting that we began work on a year-round Hefeweizen.
From http://www.sierranevada.com/about/news.html#kellerweis

I couldn't find anything about what strain it would be. I did read that the yeast is not a bottling strain, and has been successfully cultured by other homebrewers. Sorry I couldn't find more than that.

I had this last Thursday and was not impressed. I thought it was lacking in hefe flavor. But then I was on the verge of being sick, so my taste buds might have been off-kilter.

Back