Left Over Mish-Mash Brown Porter Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigred

Reaction score
I have a few left overs and was wondering how you guys think this will turn out.

Grains:
11lbs 2 row
.5 lbs crystal 60L
.5lbs Chocolate malt
.25lbs Roasted Barley

Hops:
.9oz Fuggles (60 mins)
.7oz EKG (60 mins)

Yeast:
Re-hydrated Notti

It will be a full, 60 min boil. And I plan to mash for 60 mins at 154. In beersmith it seems to follow the guidelines of a brown porter...the only thing that I don't think does is the roasted barley.

How do you guys think it will be? Not too concerned because I just want to use up some extra stuff and try out some new equipment.:mug:

It will be pretty dry. More crystal and/or mash it even higher. I'd drop the roasted. Some black patent would be nice for a robust porter. I could make 10 gallons of brown porter with that much base malt.

I was also considering dropping the roasted barley, and decreasing the 2 row to 6 lbs and just making a 3 gal batch. This would make it a robust porter. What are your thoughts on this one?

If you drop the roasted barley without adding any black patten, I think that it would still fall under brown porter, I feel that you need that kinda dry and arid burnt flavor from the black patten in a robust porter.

Answer: yes. love me some porter. Looks pretty close to my porter recipe, but I use a bit more crystal, and some brown malt, with an english strain.

I know that everyone else has said this already, but you do not need the roasted barley.. especially that much.

If anything use .10 lb or something.

Ok, so I am planning on making this for sure now. I am going to use 12lbs of 2 row instead of 11, and just to try it I'm going to keep the .25lb of roasted barley. I have to keep with the trend of using everything I have left over. I will keep you guys posted after the brew and again after sampling and aging.:mug:

Well if you do use .25 of Roasted Barley.. just keep in mind that you want to let your beer condition for awhile before you drink it.

I did a Wheat Stout using that much and it tasted really burnt and dry for a couple months. It finally mellowed and is ok.. but just keep that in mind.

Well if you do use .25 of Roasted Barley.. just keep in mind that you want to let your beer condition for awhile before you drink it.

I did a Wheat Stout using that much and it tasted really burnt and dry for a couple months. It finally mellowed and is ok.. but just keep that in mind.

I am not worried about the burnt taste, I just made a stout with 1.5 lbs of it and i'm loving it after only 2 weeks in the bottle.

I made a low gravity Stout, bottled it at 10 days and it was well carbonated in just two weeks from brew day. By 21 days it never improved before it was gone. Problems with watter can cause astringency with dark malts. My stout was very good but needs improvements in recipe and process.

So I brewed this yesterday. It was my first AG and it didn't go so smooth because my ball valve got stuck with grain, but I didn't know that was the problem. Anyway, it is in the primary now and is fermenting away like crazy. The recipe ended up being:

14lbs 2 row
.75lb crystal 60
.5lb chocolate
.25 roasted barley
.9 oz fuggles at 60 mins
.7 oz EKG at 60 mins

The odd amount of hops is because it's what I had left over from other batches. I actually over hit my estimated OG of 1.070 and hit 1.075. My question now is, I wouldn't mind racking to a secondary and maybe adding something to the secondary. What ever it is I don't want it to dominate at all, just add another layer of flavor to the beer. What do you guys think would be something good to add?

Back