dry hopping in primary??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebamaking

Reaction score
is it alright to dry hop my ipa in the primary? if so, how do i siphon it to the bottling bucket once fermentation is complete with a bunch of hops floating on top in the way? will they sink?

many people choose to dry hop in seconday...

Many of the hops will become beer logged and sink, and the rest? Well since you will be siphoning from the bottom to the top of the beer, the remaining hops will stay floating on the surface of the beer and just ride down as the volume decreases. Then the remaining beer will flow through the hop filter you have created.....

That's why we often tell people who have mold on their beer to carefully siphon the beer off from UNDER the layer....The layer will behave like the floating hops, it will stay floating on the surface as the level of beer decreases.

I dry hop in the primary all the time.

Leaf hops will float, settle and float in the middle. Best to place some sort of a filtering device on your racking cane.

I prefer to dry hop with pellet for this reason, they settle to the bottom easily with the trub.

I have dryhopped in my primary with pellets. Will I need to put a filtering device on my siphon, or will the hop mess remain with the trub.

It's generally good to have some sort of filter element on the end of your siphon anyways, but the pellets should stay in the bottom with the trub.

brok3n said:
It's generally good to have some sort of filter element on the end of your siphon anyways, but the pellets should stay in the bottom with the trub.

I dry hopped in primary once, and it made a ton more trub than usual. Next time I'll do it in secondary, or use a hop bag. It worked though

I dry hop with pellets and whole hops all the time in the primary. No big deal, just make a filter of sorts on the end of your racking cane when you move the beer to the bottling bucket or your kegs.

You might get a flake or two but it is pretty insignificant and will fall out with the yeast during clarification / settling.

I have dryhopped in my primary with pellets. Will I need to put a filtering device on my siphon, or will the hop mess remain with the trub.

I've never had a dry hop where all the pellets or leaf ended up either at the bottom or the top. Just bottled 2 dry-hopped batches yesterday and the pellet debris was top to bottom in the beer.

I zip-tie a paint strainer bag (from lowe's)to the out end of my racking hose and keep it submerged in the beer to prevent oxidation. You can also do it on the inlet side of your racking cane. Either way--keep it submerged in the beer.
elastic_strainer.jpg

Back