My Second brew, am I off to a rocky start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronnelson929

Reaction score
Just looking for opinions/suggestions..

My second beer is going to be a hearty baltic porter. I ordered a kit from Northern Brewer with one of the recommended yeasts. The recommended yeast was Saflager S-23 which I didn't think much about when I ordered it. The yeast is a lager yeast, but the baltic porter is an ale. I don't really have the extra 'fridge to lager at this time so I want to be sure I don't need to get another yeast before I start. Do you have any suggestions or is this yeast fine and the 'lager' part just a misnomer? Will it ferment fine at or around 65-70 degrees?

You should get another yeast. Lager yeast fermented at higher temperatures will produce flavor problems in the beer.

I'm not sure how a lager yeast was the recommended yeast when porter is clearly an ale.

-Steve

OK, from the Northern Brewer web site:

"The use of lager yeast (ideally fermented around 65° F) leaves Baltic porters cleaner and less fruity than an Imperial stout or barley wine."

So I guess if you can't maintain lager temperatures, then a clean/neutral ale yeast should work well.

-Steve

Vote #2 for different yeast.

I am not a fan of lager yeasts fermented at ale temps. Bubblegum city.

Although porters are typically ales, the Baltic Porter style is typically a lager, but I think it would be yummy either way.

+1 clean ale yeast. IMO if you can stay at 65 use US-05 or WLP001 and if you have to go to higher 60's use WLP001.

You should get another yeast. Lager yeast fermented at higher temperatures will produce flavor problems in the beer.

I'm not sure how a lager yeast was the recommended yeast when porter is clearly an ale.

-Steve
Is Saflager S-23 the same as 2112 or WL810? If so, that's the same lager yeast used in California Common (Steam) Ales, able to crank at temps around 65ºF (optimum range of 2112 is 58-68º). Looking at the Midwest Supplies catalog I just received yesterday (drool), it shows S-23 fermenting in the 59-68ºF range, though it does say that the estery, fruity tones are better developed in the 49-57º range.

So, looking at other recipes on the net for Baltic Porters, I'm seeing lots of suggestions for WL810 or 2112. Here's one. I think that that specific Porter benefits from the earth tone of this yeast. However, this is speculation, so take that as you will. :mug:

Googled it and looks like the optimal fementation temp for Saflager S-23 is around 46-50 degrees fahrenheit. I'd go with an ale yeast (cheap option) or get lagering equipment (awesome option)

From Fermentis' specs for S-23:
Recommended fermentation temperature: 9C – 15C (48-59F) ideally 12C (53F)

I love how every site I visit (supplier sites, at least) has different specs for these yeasts. Oddly, Fermentis doesn't say a single thing about using S-23 at ale temps, though both Midwest and Northern do. I wonder if they just propagate information culled from each other, raising temps a degree at a time to make it sound better?! :)

Back