tempurature control on fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackwaterbrewer

Reaction score
i have a fridge that has a messed up thermostat. it turns on and off and freezes , then melts. can i buy a dial thermostat for like for a fermentation chamber and by-pass the existing broken one, or does the aftermarket thermostat work in conjunction with the existing one?

basically, it is a really nice fridge, but the tempurature is inconsistent. how can i fix this while upgrading to a more precise tempurature control?:mug:

I would agree with the reply, but would suggest a Ranco ETC 111000 as a viable alternative.

I did just that on a mini-fridge that we use for white wine. I opened the door one day to a bunch of frozen bottles. Even at the warmest setting it was still freezing. I bought a Love controler and wired it up as an extension cord. I put the controler in a box and wired it to an outlet also added to the box. I then plugged the fridge into that and then ran the probe in through the drain hole. I then set the fridges thermostat to it's coldest setting. It's been running great for 2 yrs now.

At the time I priced a replacement thermostat and the price as the same as the Love controler (~$45)

I also totally gutted another mini-fridge and installed the parts in a larger fermentation chamber. In this case, I removed the thermostat and wired the Love controller in its place

Back