Is Star-san ok to use on Cornys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nugu

Reaction score
I know the one time I couldn't find a bucket to Star-san my bottles in I used my kettle and it left the bottom super-shiney. I immediately rinsed and boiled water in it in case I damaged the protective layer.

Later I read about acid based stuff not being so good for SS pans? Pitting and etc.

Can I use star-san on my cornys or do I need to worry about it ruining the SS?

Reason I ask is the Cornys seem to look almost like they have a thin layer of something white inside (even after OxyClean) except where the dip tube has scrapped the bottom and made it look like shiny new SS. Is that the protective layer or do I need to soak longer?

Star San is fine to use on stainless steel, just be sure you're diluting it first. I'm not sure what this "protective layer," is that you mention in your cornies, it's certainly something I've not heard of. Star San doesn't cause pitting or etching on steel, assuming again proper dilution.

It's basically dull metallic color instead of "bright and shiny fresh stainless"
This is after power rinse and Oxyclean + rinsing out.
cornyinside1.JPG

I store star-san in cornys. I'll also leave about a quart of star-san in the keg after I'm done cleaning it, then I can shake it up and dump that out right when I'm ready to fill so I know it is sanitary inside.

The issues with pitting that you are worried about is a possible "side-effect" of using chlorine based cleaners. Never use Chlorox on SS, but StarSan is fine.

Back