American IPA Wounded Knee IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale-05
Yeast Starter
None
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
10 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days at 65 degrees
Tasting Notes
Inspired by Dude's Lake Walk Pale Ale - This beer is awesome!
Bee Cave Brewery Wounded Knee IPA

11 gallon batch

16# Two Row Pale
4# Toasted Two Row
1.5# Crystal 20 L
1# Flaked Barley
0.5# Rice Hulls

Mash 60 Minutes at 154

90 minute boil

1 oz. Amarillo at 60 min
1 oz. Simcoe at 45 min
1 oz. Cascade at 30 min
1 oz. Cascade at 15 min
1 oz. Simcoe at 10 min
1 oz. Amarillo at 5 min.

Dryhop in the keg, 1/2 oz. Simcoe 1/2 oz. Amarillo each keg.

1 whirlfloc at 5 min.

Safale -05

Ferment at 65 degrees for 10-14 days, then crash cool for a week before kegging.

WoundedKneeIPA.jpg

A Big Thanks goes to Dude for the base recipe!

Ed, i'm sure your beer is phenominal. I cant wait to give this one a try!
:off: Some of the recipes of yours that i've done have been "crash cooled" (except the apfelwein). Are you crashing to clear it or to stop your ferm before you get too dry?

Some of the recipes of yours that i've done have been "crash cooled" (except the apfelwein). Are you crashing to clear it or to stop your ferm before you get too dry?

Since it's just before kegging, I'm guessing it's to clear the yeast.

Looks good Ed! I don't care for most "over the top," ultra-hoppy IPAs, but this one looks well balanced. Interesting hop schedule, how did you arrive at that combination?

(Hope the knee is back in form!)

I ferment in buckets in a chest freezer. I drop the temp after fermentation is finished to clear the yeast and to firm up the sediment on the bottom of the bucket so very little is transferred when I rack through the spigot.

The hop schedule is based on Dude's Lake Walk Pale Ale.

nice, thanks Ed. I've got a batch of your haus bubblin' away. I decided on it as my first batch in the new apt! :mug:

"Dryhop in the keg, 1/2 oz. Simcoe 1/2 oz. Amarillo each keg."

Does the flavor change in the keg whether you drink it in 1 week or 3 months? I assume you leave them in the keg until it is empty?

Also, Do you crash cool in the primary? I am assuming you don't rack into a secondary just to crash cool.

Thanks

"Dryhop in the keg, 1/2 oz. Simcoe 1/2 oz. Amarillo each keg."

Does the flavor change in the keg whether you drink it in 1 week or 3 months? I assume you leave them in the keg until it is empty?

Also, Do you crash cool in the primary? I am assuming you don't rack into a secondary just to crash cool.

Thanks

I crash cool in the primary for a few days at near 34 degrees. The yeast drops out well and the yeast cake firms up nicely so when I rack to a keg, very little transfers at the spigot.

I leave the herb ball in the keg till it is empty. I don't drink the beer for several weeks after kegging, so I do not notice much of a change over time with the dry hopping.

Hello Ed,

I went to the LHBS here and unfortunately they were out of several items for this recipe.
This is what I ended up with, I would have to wait on mail order to get the correct items so I went ahead and made some substitutions. They were out of 2 row pale until Friday, Don't stock 2 row toasted or flaked barley, no simcoe or amarillo either. While it won't be wounded knee, should I go ahead and brew this or should I order and wait on the correct ingredients? If I brew, can you reccomend a hop schedule with the hops I have? Thanks

11 # Marris Otter
.75 Crystal 20L

1.5 oz Summit 16.17 AA
3.0 oz Cascade 6.7 AA

Hello Ed,

I went to the LHBS here and unfortunately they were out of several items for this recipe.
This is what I ended up with, I would have to wait on mail order to get the correct items so I went ahead and made some substitutions. They were out of 2 row pale until Friday, Don't stock 2 row toasted or flaked barley, no simcoe or amarillo either. While it won't be wounded knee, should I go ahead and brew this or should I order and wait on the correct ingredients? If I brew, can you reccomend a hop schedule with the hops I have? Thanks

11 # Marris Otter
.75 Crystal 20L

1.5 oz Summit 16.17 AA
3.0 oz Cascade 6.7 AA

Try this.

9# Marriss Otter
2# Toasted Marris Otter
.75# Crystal 20L

0.5 oz. Summit at 60
0.5 oz. Cascade at 45
0.5 oz. Summit at 30
0.5 oz. Cascade at 30
0.5 oz. Cascade at 15
0.5 oz. Cascade at 10
0.5 oz. Cascade at 5

Dry hop with 1/2 ounce Cascade & 1/2 ounce Summit.

Toast your Marris in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes stirring at the 10 and 20 minute mark.

This is a totally different recipe, but I think it will turn out a tasty hoppy beer.

Brewed 15 gallons of this yesterday. Got much better efficiency with a larger grain bill and my 70 quarter cooler MLT. Got an O.G. of 1.062, so this will surely be a bigger beer this time.

I brewed this on 10/13 and it is wonderful! It is by far my favorite of the 8 or so batches of different beer so far. Of course you have to like an IPA and hops.

I am getting ready to make another batch today. I had to modify the ingredients last time because of what my lhbs had available. One thing I had to do was toast the malt myself which made me a little nervous last time. It turned out so good, I'm doing exactly the same thing today.

The house smells wonderful after toasting 2 lbs of Marris Otter. I toasted it in the oven set at 350 for 30 minutes on a broiler pan. I would take it out at the 10 minute and 20 minute mark and stir the grain around to get some new one on top.

Here is what I'm using just as last time.
9 lbs Marris Otter
2 lbs Marris Otter I toasted (same day about an hour before mashing)
.75 lbs Crystal 20L
.5 lbs Flaked Barley
.25 Rice Hulls

It turned out 1.070 last time.
Yeast and hops as your recipe so all I really did was change out MO for two row pale.

Grabbed the needed materials to do a 5 gallon batch of this. LHBS didn't have rice hulls though. What kind of taste do these impart? Just bitterness without hop flavor?

Gonna have to toast my own two row as well, should be fun. Should I do this in a very shallow pan and spread it out as much as possible or in a smaller and deeper dish?

Grabbed the needed materials to do a 5 gallon batch of this. LHBS didn't have rice hulls though. What kind of taste do these impart? Just bitterness without hop flavor?

They just help prevent stuck sparges and can improve efficiency.

I am planning to brew this one on Sunday (can't wait!) This is my first time using flaked barley. Do I crush it with the rest of the grains or just throw it in as is?

I don't have flaked barley would carapils be an alright substitute? Also on the toasted malt I can just put 4 lbs of 2-row uncracked and roast it for 20 minutes at 350F? Should the toasted malt rest for any amount of time before brewing?

I don't have flaked barley would carapils be an alright substitute? Also on the toasted malt I can just put 4 lbs of 2-row uncracked and roast it for 20 minutes at 350F? Should the toasted malt rest for any amount of time before brewing?

I toast my malt for 30 minutes stirring twice. I let is rest in a brown paper bag for a day.

You won't get the creaminess of the flaked barley or the cascading head it makes, but you should still get a good beer with the carapils.

About to transfer to secondary with this, hit the gravities pretty much square on with some white labs California Ale Yeast. Wonderful hops tastes, aromas, and definitely getting malt and toastiness in there. Can't wait til this is cleared and cooled... it won't last long.

Thanks for this recipe.

So, took my time, transferred today... is it me, or is this thing green? I'm colorblind so maybe I'm confusing my colors, but it looked lime green to me.

I brewed a 5gal batch of this yesterday. It smells wonderful and the airlock was rocking at about 8hours after pitching! Talk about a fast starter!!

Only thing that I adjusted was I had to sub Centennial for Amarillo, but that shouldn't be too big of a deal. I'm really looking forward to trying this in a few weeks! Looks like another great winner from EdWort. Thanks for the recipe man!

Also, I did not add the Whirlfloc due to LHBS being out, but I did add some gypsum. This thing is VERY cloudy! I hope it drops out soon, I'd love a very clear beer, but I can live without it.

Brewed this last weekend and took a hydro sample today. Has a good taste very citrus taste to it. Looking forward to this in a few weeks after being dry hopped. I did end up using the flaked barley since I got a chance to stop by the brew shop.

I brewed a batch of this exactly one week ago. I hit 1.054 SG, but now it is only at 1.026 and the fermentation has completely stopped. It has been at this Gravity for about 3 days. Should I repitch some yeast? I think it may have been too warm during the initial fermentation, probably around 76deg. Any ideas?

I'm sure this is a great IPA Ed. OK with all the people that brewed this, not one has posted a result of the final product besides Ed.
Come on folks, let's hear your outcome and opinion.

I brewed a batch of this exactly one week ago. I hit 1.054 SG, but now it is only at 1.026 and the fermentation has completely stopped. It has been at this Gravity for about 3 days. Should I repitch some yeast? I think it may have been too warm during the initial fermentation, probably around 76deg. Any ideas?
Hey SmokingJohn,

I had a similar issue with another IPA due to warm new england temps. I gave the carboy a few good swirls to stir my little yeastie friends and they got back to work.my sg went from 1.022 to 1.014 in a week.

Not sure if you added anything to it since you posted but the swirl got them going good for me.

I chose this as my first IPA and it is a 12 gallon rolling boil right now. Sure is a lot of hops, but it smells fantastic! Thank you for posting the recipe!

Maybe I missed something, but how did it get its name?

2 Questions:

1) Is 2 row Pale Ale malt the same as Pale Ale or 2-row base malt?
2) If I didn't want to deal with the hassle of toasting my own malt what would be a good substitute for the toasted pale ale malt?

thanks

2 Questions:

1) Is 2 row Pale Ale malt the same as Pale Ale or 2-row base malt?
2) If I didn't want to deal with the hassle of toasting my own malt what would be a good substitute for the toasted pale ale malt?

thanks

1) for this beer, close enough. Don't worry.
2) Make the effort, it is well worth it and it tastes like grape-nuts. :mug:

I brewed this a month and a half ago and just tapped into the keg last weekend. Hot damn, this is a very tasty IPA! I would call this a good summer IPA because it's much lighter in color than a typical IPA and it has a very refreshing aroma due to the Simcoe & Amarillo combo. I double dry-hopped mine, once in a secondary and again in the keg. I also subbed 2 lb. of Victory malt for the toasted pale malt due to my laziness. This is probably the best IPA I've made so far, I'll definitely be making it again! Highly recommend it to everyone!:mug::rockin:

Ed I really have to compliment you on this recipe. My brew was identical to the Stone IPA. I just entered it into a very large state fair. If the beer gods are very generous and willing, maybe I will report back some good news :)

I forgot about a partial keg of this in my keezer in the garage. It was brewed in June of 2010.

I was brewing a Hefe last week and pouring some beer when I noticed it. I poured a pitcher of it and gave a glass to my brew buddy and asked him if he could tell what it was.

He sniffed it and said, "It smells like your Wounded Knee IPA". I could not believe it. He then tasted it and said it was sublime.

I then told him it was a year and 1 month old. I could not believe it myself.

Keep your beer gassed and chilled and it can last a long time.

Hey Ed, I've been waiting to brew this for a month or so but I have a few questions on the hops.

My lhbs was out of Simcoe, so I replaced it with a 2:3 ratio of Chinook:Summit.

Total Hops:

2.5oz Amarillo
2oz Cascade
2oz Summit
0.5oz Chinhook

Do you see any problems with this substitution?
Any issues with dry-hopping substitution?

Thanks.

I was kind of bummed they didn't have Simcoe. I'm really hoping this turns out good. Thanks.

Back