Keezer wiring problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nolasuperbass

Reaction score
I'm installing an 8-tap draft tower onto an old chest freezer I found on craigslist. The lid is with a welder now having the holes drilled for the tower. The lid had wiring going into it for a light and an "auto defrost" button. I can't imagine why, but someone had once cut the wiring and then spliced it back together with caps and electrical tape. The easiest way to get the lid off the freezer to transport it to the welder was to just undo the splices. I later realized that I was going to have to take the lid apart and pull the wiring out to avoid cutting it with the drill.

My questing is, since I don't need the light or the auto defrost, can I just leaving the wiring out of the lid and then recap and tape the wiring coming out of the freezer? Will that be a fire hazard if there are no exposed wires? I know that there are a lot of engineers on here and I was hoping someone with expertise could tell me. Since it won't be a closed circuit, is there in fact any electricity going to the wires? Thanks in advance

I'm installing an 8-tap draft tower onto an old chest freezer I found on craigslist. The lid is with a welder now having the holes drilled for the tower. The lid had wiring going into it for a light and an "auto defrost" button. I can't imagine why, but someone had once cut the wiring and then spliced it back together with caps and electrical tape. The easiest way to get the lid off the freezer to transport it to the welder was to just undo the splices. I later realized that I was going to have to take the lid apart and pull the wiring out to avoid cutting it with the drill.

My questing is, since I don't need the light or the auto defrost, can I just leaving the wiring out of the lid and then recap and tape the wiring coming out of the freezer? Will that be a fire hazard if there are no exposed wires? I know that there are a lot of engineers on here and I was hoping someone with expertise could tell me. Since it won't be a closed circuit, is there in fact any electricity going to the wires? Thanks in advance

You will have current at your hot lead wire, even though it is not a closed circuit. If the wires are not exposed and cannot come into contact with liquid or a ground, it will be fine to leave them as is. I'm not electrical engineer, just my 2 cents.

-
Craig

The interior lamp wiring is a non-issue, but the "auto-defrost" thing might be.

If you have a make/model number someone might be able to dig up a wiring diagram to see what happens if you leave the "auto-defrost" circuit open...

Cheers!

Back