Red Brick double chocolate oatmeal porter recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer one

Reaction score
After emailing Dave at Atlanta Brewing co. He was nice enough to forward this recipe.
2-row 76%
dextrin malt 7.5%
chocolate malt 6%
roasted barley 3%
flaked oats7.5%
mash in at 152, sparge at 170
Ibu 35
OG 1.070
Zeus for bittering and Fuggles,Tettnang end of boil
Yeast wite labs Wlp001 @68
So thats what I got if anyone wants to take a shot at amounts for a 5gal batch that would be great. I'm going to play with this on beer tools and see what I get.

Here's what I've come up with tell me what you think.
11.0lbs Maris otter
1.25lbs Dextrine malt
1.0lbs Chocolate malt
.25lbs Roasted barley
1.25lbs Oat flakes
.50oz Magnum 60min
1oz Tettnanger 20min
.50oz Fuggle 5min
.50oz Fuggle 0min
OG 1.070
IBU 43.88
SRM 28.6
alcohol 6.96%
efficiency 75%

Just bringing this back up to the top, I know there are a few Georgians who are interested

Just had one on tap at VG Bistro in Roswell... YUM!!!

Glad to see that you go the recipe... I will be happy to try it out...

:mug:

So the "Double Chocolate" comes from only 1lb of Chocolate Malt? I was figuring some cocoa additions. Either way this may be a future brew of mine, sounds good!

Yea I wasn't to shure about the amount of chocolate thats why I was hoping for more input on this recipe I just threw the whole thing together using beer tools with the % that Dave gave me.

I've never even heard of this beer, and I used to frequent the regular pallet burnings in the old parking lot by the interstate. Has anyone played with this recipe or know where to get this beer .... two years later?

Has anyone played with this recipe or know where to get this beer .... two years later?

What is it now, five years later? Hooray for them interwebs...

I found this recipe and made a variation a few months ago. I say variation because I used three big cans of maris otter extract for a partial boil. And I managed to boil everything else instead of just steeping it. And then managed to literally blow the airlock off the fermenter during primary for who knows how many days. I left it in primary for almost two weeks, and then did another four weeks in secondary before bottling it in 22oz bombers.

Despite my poor brewing form, it turned out really great! I can't imagine how good it would have been had it been made properly ;-)

Back