Garage Fridge is acting up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reverend JC

2500 gallons year to date
Reaction score
The fridge in the garage a few days ago was able to get temps with my A419 johnson control unit of 32 if needed.

I had to remove the egg/butter holder interior paneling so my conical could fit in there.

Now, the fridge will only get to 57 degrees. there is still insulation on the door so i doubt that is it.

There are what appears to be the cooling coils in the rear of the fridge that seem to have collect a fair amount of frost. Could this be my problem?

what is the temp in the garage? Mine will not cool as low on 90 degree days. I also have to defrost my kegerator a couple of times each summer.

Temp in the garage right now is upper 70s. even when it hit 90 last week it was in the 30s. i know it can get down there. I just defrosted the coils in the back of the inside fridge. i hope that does the trick.

i would say it has to do with your conical being in there think how much harder that thing has to work to get all of that mass down to temp give it time it should get down there

It would seem that defrosting the coils on the inside of the fridge worked. The fridge is down to 59 degrees after 20 min of being plugged in again.

Check the door seals as moisture from outside is your enemy, coils frost up which block heat transfer and interior temps go up. This is the same kind of problem when air conditioners are used for cool rooms, moisture migrates through vents and other openings to build up inside cooler and freeze up on coils.

Update:

I checked this morning and the Fridge was right at 52 where i want it for fermenting.

I did however notice that where i have the prob wire laying when the door is shut (i do not have a hole drilled in fridge) there is a gap. I would imagine moisture is coming in through there. I need to remedy that without drilling a hole in the fridge.

Back