Failure..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mworkman

Reaction score
I brewed last friday. It still isn't bubbling. I made a mistake with the yeast putting it in cool water instead of warm. Do I dare add more yeast (I would have to order some). Or am I just screwed and thirsty?

Yep-add some more. This time, I would hydrate AND proof it. Doesn't take long, and assures you that you have pitched viable yeast. Palmer lists out the process for proofing Dry Yeast and making starters for liquid yeast here.

Good Luck!

Thanks guys.. Who should I order it from? Who's the quickest?

You would think they would sell yeast in the grocery store? Don't people have to buy it to make bread? I work in the jail, the inmates seem to have no problem making hooch by just adding full slices of bread.

mworkman said:
You would think they would sell yeast in the grocery store? Don't people have to buy it to make bread?

don't use bread yeast quite yet. You can still make decent beer if you can find some dry yeast. And since it has been a while since you pitched first, consider boiling it again to kill whatever has been growing in there.

Bread yeast will give you alcohol but also awful off-flavors.

Kai

I'm going to be gone for a couple days and comming back on Friday. So, that would be one week. Will it still be good? Also, It would be difficult to boil 5 gallons. Maybe not if I only have to boil for a few minutes (I would have to divide it up and do about 1 1/2 gallons at a time.

I don't know how quickly you'll be able to get something through the mail, nor where to order from to get the quickest delivery.

I'd be happy to drop a couple packets of dried Munton's Ale yeast in the mail for you, but I imagine it might take several days to get there.

You have learned on valuable lesson, though: always keep some 'emergency yeast' in the fridge in case something like this happens again.

-walker

Walker said:
You have learned on valuable lesson, though: always keep some 'emergency yeast' in the fridge in case something like this happens again.

And this can be as simple as using the sediment from previous brews. But in this case you will need DME or leftover lauter runnings around to make a starter.

Kai

if nothing else you can use brown sugar for a starter. i have taken yeast from bottles of homebrew and used those as a starter, worked great. i think i used the cake from 4 bottles of homebrew and brown sugar, worked like a charm

Hi all, new to the forums here.

My first batch went without bubbles so I'm looking to reboil and rehop as suggested in the link on the first few posts of this topic. I was using a can of Cooper's Lager malt extract in the batch. My question is, what type of yeast should I buy now to add after the reboil?

Any help is much appreciated.

-Kevin

-Looking forward to my first home brew!

Back