Alternative Sugar Beer White House Honey Ale: 2nd Place, 2013 Chicago Cup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was looking for a clone for Honey dew for my girlfriend and found this, I didnt have all the malt types and brewed with cara ruby 50 instead of the crystal. Opened one bottle after one week and darn I like it. To bad I have to wait another week for better carbonation. Thx for the reciepe.

Was looking for a clone for Honey dew for my girlfriend and found this, I didnt have all the malt types and brewed with cara ruby 50 instead of the crystal. Opened one bottle after one week and darn I like it. To bad I have to wait another week for better carbonation. Thx for the reciepe.

Glad you enjoyed it - and welcome to the HBT!

Looks like this may be my next brew. What can I substitute for the Windsor yeast? I had problems with Windsor in a Stout and had to dump it, so I will never use Windsor ever again. Was thinking about Notty, many recommend it as some also say US-04. I have never used Notty so I am leaning towards it.

Looks like this may be my next brew. What can I substitute for the Windsor yeast? I had problems with Windsor in a Stout and had to dump it, so I will never use Windsor ever again. Was thinking about Notty, many recommend it as some also say US-04. I have never used Notty so I am leaning towards it.

I like Nottingham, too. It will attenuate more than the Windsor, leaving you with a drier beer, perhaps, and it has a cleaner, less estery yeast flavor profile. So generally, its a little less British in character than Windsor.

If you wanted to go with liquid yeast, you could try one of the English strains, like WLP002 (English) or WLP005 (British). I like WLP005 a lot when making a bitter but haven't used it for this beer.

To make this a session beer, 4% - 4.5%, should I just reduce the 2 Row?

For 11gal batch I changed the 2 row to 7lb 14oz with a 72% eff to get about 4.6% abv.

7 lbs 14.1 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 47.5 %
3 lbs 3.4 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 19.4 %
2 lbs 1.6 oz Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 12.6 %
1 lbs 5.3 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4 8.0 %
1.88 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 17.6 IBUs
1.88 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 6 10.7 IBUs
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 7 -
1.88 oz Challenger [5.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 3.5 IBUs
2.0 pkg Windsor Yeast (Lallemand #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 9 -
2 lbs 1.2 oz Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar 10 12.5 %

Back