input on IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kampo

Reaction score
been working on a recipe for an IPA i'm going to brew next week. all but the Warrior I have in house already (planned on brewing an IPA with just the centenial and cascade, but think to hit a decent IBU all the centential will be used to early, so i'll pick up a oz of warrior from bells this week)

Recipe specifics:

Style: American IPA
Batch size: 5.5 gal
Boil volume: 4.0 gal
OG: 1.071
FG: 1.018
Bitterness (IBU): 51.9
Color (SRM): 6.0
ABV: 7.0%

Grain/Sugars:

7.00 lb Extra Light DME, 73.7%
1.00 lb Corn Sugar, 10.5%
1.00 lb Crystal 20L, 10.5%
0.50 lb CaraPils, 5.3%

Hops:

1.00 oz Warrior (AA 15.0%, Pellet) 60 min, 30.7 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial (AA 10.5%, Pellet) 20 min, 13 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade (AA 6.6%, Pellet) 10 min, 4.9 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade (AA 6.6%, Pellet) 5 min, 1.3 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial (AA 9.0%, Pellet) 5 min, 1.8 IBU

Yeast/Misc:

Nottingham yeast, 1.0 unit(s), Yeast

Recipe Notes:

Dryhop 1.5 oz Centennial and 1.5oz Cascade once primary ferment is complete

what you guys think? looking for something simlar to twohearted, not nessarily the same, but thats my favorite IPA so thats the style i'm shooting for. plan on just using the yeast cake from my Centenial Blond I'm bottling next week.

Grain bill looks good to me. CaraPils may be unnecessary - many extracts contain it already. That should finish well below 1.018, esp with a pound of sugar. And I'd personally cut the crystal in half, but 20L is nice and light; personal preference.

yeah I've had a hard time with my last few batches ending around that 1.018 range and wanting them to go closer to 1.012ish figured the surgar would help dry it out and give it a bit more kick. thats the the FG that the app on my phone kicked out

Briess says there is carapils in their Pilsen (Extra Light) DME, I'd prob skip it, especially with that much crystal.

I've never tried an IPA with Pilsner malt..but should work.

I like sweeter IPAs so a pound sounds good to me, but I think the norm is about a half pound for 5 gal...but like TyTanium says it's light.

I'm not a fan of Notty. Maybe I had a bad packet, but it came out tart and destroyed the hop flavor

This looks great, with nottingham being an exceptional attenuator I would actually cut the sugar down to %5 and leave the rest the same.

Carapils is already inherent in DME. So you don't need it. I would look into other yeasts than notty. The amount of C20 here is double what I would use for an IPA. I would also add 3 oz. more late hop additions... maybe 1.50 each at 10, 5, 0. The sugar addition is fine. Extract and partial mash beers require more sugar to attenuate than an all grain beers typical 4-5% recommendation.

Back