grolsch bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Labratbrew

Reaction score
I was thinking about ordering some 16oz and 33oz bottles...reasons being... I like how you can reuse each bottle cap (i don't particularly care for capping bottles), I dont mind paying extra $$$ to get nice bottles.... Anyone have any experience with grolsch type bottles? Do I need to get amber bottles or can I get green,blue, etc.??...

I've used them quite a bit, for the same reason - reusing the caps. They work great. I've ordered them from Northern Brewer but then found it easier to pick more up at my LHBS. I've only had the amber. I'm sure any color would be fine if you keep your beer out of sunlight but I'm not the expert on "skunking". I've only seen that happen to beer that was stored hot, and I never store beer where it can be hit by sunlight.

Be careful with the caps when cleaning. Don't leave them for extended amounts of time in cleaning solution, the wire bales have a coating and it will come off (at least mine did). They then look like sh*t but still work.

dbrewski said:
I've used them quite a bit, for the same reason - reusing the caps. They work great. I've ordered them from Northern Brewer but then found it easier to pick more up at my LHBS. I've only had the amber. I'm sure any color would be fine if you keep your beer out of sunlight but I'm not the expert on "skunking". I've only seen that happen to beer that was stored hot, and I never store beer where it can be hit by sunlight.

Be careful with the caps when cleaning. Don't leave them for extended amounts of time in cleaning solution, the wire bales have a coating and it will come off (at least mine did). They then look like sh*t but still work.

Awesome thanks for the input!
What size bottle did you go with?
Do you soak your bottles with star san? One step??

i got all of my grolsch from the beer distributor when i started brewing. I just went in to the place where I bought beer (and a lot of other places) and asked if they had swingtops. They were more than happy to give me them for the cost of the deposit, 5 cents in NY. After a few months I was set. summer is the best time to go especially after holiday weekends.

I am a swing top bottle whore. It is the very 1st thing I look for when beer shopping. I have found you can buy empty bottles like the EZ cap brand from your LHBS or you can empty your own. The best place to get these is from a craft beer bar that has swing tops. I got LOTS for free that way. ;)

IMO you want the amber (Brown) ones. They are the ONLY color glass that will protect your beer from light. Florescent is not as bad as direct sunlight but will still screw up beers quick. If this does not concern you then it does not matter.

I have a case of the 1L Ez-cap, and Howe Sound 1L I have a few (maybe 4) cases of the 22oz German Schwartz beer that my local grocery store carries. I also have some specialty ones (I am going to post up a pick of my last finds in a new thread...) from Holland, Ireland and Germany.

I use the green Grolsh bottles for carbed up sweet wines, like Skeeter Pee. Wine can still get skunky but not like beer will or as fast!

If I have my way I will only ever have 22oz bombers to cap and swing tops everything else is for a comp or the recycling bin.

Zamial said:
I am a swing top bottle whore. It is the very 1st thing I look for when beer shopping. I have found you can buy empty bottles like the EZ cap brand from your LHBS or you can empty your own. The best place to get these is from a craft beer bar that has swing tops. I got LOTS for free that way. ;)

IMO you want the amber (Brown) ones. They are the ONLY color glass that will protect your beer from light. Florescent is not as bad as direct sunlight but will still screw up beers quick. If this does not concern you then it does not matter.

I have a case of the 1L Ez-cap, and Howe Sound 1L I have a few (maybe 4) cases of the 22oz German Schwartz beer that my local grocery store carries. I also have some specialty ones (I am going to post up a pick of my last finds in a new thread...) from Holland, Ireland and Germany.

I use the green Grolsh bottles for carbed up sweet wines, like Skeeter Pee. Wine can still get skunky but not like beer will or as fast!

If I have my way I will only ever have 22oz bombers to cap and swing tops everything else is for a comp or the recycling bin.

I did find a smokin deal from my LHBS today! I'm thinking about going for the 33oz... I kind of like the blue ones.. but am concerned about any adverse effects... Perhaps ill just stick with the amber brown??

Back