hardened steel instead of stainless?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photogscott

Reaction score
I just scored the last 10 gal cooler at the Depot! Now I'm about to pimp it out a la Flyguy. What about hardened steel 5/8 washers? stainless is so hard to find in that size. Nylon washers?

Nylon OK, any steel other than stainless, NOOOOOOO, hardened steel, NOOOOOO. Lowes has alot of SS hardware, or just use the nylon. Welcome

The hardened steel will still rust. Badly. You could use aluminum (maybe boil it first to build up a good oxide layer), brass (pickled to leach the lead) or nylon, if it is thick enough. You just need something to back up the o-ring so that it will compress and conform to the cooler wall and provide a good watertight seal.

I'm gonna pick up some nylon washers and tinker with the setup. Lowe's, Depot and Ace all have stainless but not 5/8"

Those darn SS washers are hard to find. Skifast1 actually bought a bulk order and is selling them cheap (his cost, I think). Search Members for him, and he has a link in is sig about buying them from him. I think he is selling them for a buck each, shipped.

I finally got my 5/8 ss at place here in Alaska call Alaska Industrial Hardware and they were closing so they thought they were just steel I guess and they said take them they are yours along with some O ring to fit too.
Sometime things just go your way.
The price is right and no leaks!!

Back