Ideas for second brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nexus555

Reaction score
Hey guys, what's up? Well I did my first brew last Saturday, and it went well overall. She's still in the primary, going to rack into the secondary Saturday.

In 2 weeks from this Saturday (bottle day) I plan on brewing another batch. Might as well, since by the time those bottles are finished coniditoning, it'll be bottling time for batch #2.

But one problem remains: I am undecided on what to brew next!! I know for a fact that a Pale Ale is out of the question, way too hoppy for my likings. My favorite beers are: New Castle (Which brew #1 is a brown ale), Guinness, I like different kinds of bocks, Abita Amber (It's a local microbrewery in Louisana, it's a Amber Lager, a little on the malty side, not too much though), Abita Turbo Dog (same company, a chocolate stout), Flying Dog Wheat Ale, Flying Dog Golden Ale, Stella Artois... Hmm there are probably some I'm leaving out!!

Anyways as you can see I typically like a little malty taste (exception of Bock beer which IMO is very malty.) I do enjoy hops, just not too much (Flying Dog Golden Ale is a little hoppy, but not as extreme as Pale Ale.) Also, I did enjoy the wheat type beers (except blue moon, don't like the fruity taste.)

Any suggestions for my second brew? What extract brew would you choose if you were me? Thanks

Stout! Dry, low in bitterness, malty but just enough. Easy to brew, likes to be aged, don't have to worry about haze or cloudiness issues.....it's a natural!

The dark cherry stout kit from nothernbrewer.com is exceptional. I have brewed it several times and still love it.

Well, not sure if you want to do all Extract or not, but if AE is good enough, my first (only on my 3rd now) was the Muntons Gold Imperial Stout kit. A very drinkable stout. (My wife actually liked it more than Guinness and she LOVES Guinness).

If you are looking for a darker ale, like it sounds liek you are, I just brewed this a while back and have been enjoying it very much, its an Irish red Extract/steeping grains kit from morebeer. It is very good, full of flavor, and they say its their most popular kit :D

http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=18335

Heres a pic after about 14 days in bottles, that was a while ago, they are even better now lol, its the one on the right obviously...

beerrs5.jpg

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far! Keep them coming, and then I will decide on which one of the ones list in this thread that I chose!

I did a hefeweizen for my first and it is still fermenting. I think I'd like to do a Dry Irish Stout for the next one.

I would say do the Turbo Dog clone.

Unless you have the equipment to lager then it is a toss up between Turbo Dog or Amber.

Austin Homebrew Supply sells a Turbo Dog clone kit or I am sure you can find recipes online.

I am going to be brewing a Amber clone very soon...we can compare notes.

By the way, if you are ever in the area, you should take a tour of the Abita brewery (if you haven't already). Free beer, a lot of free beer. I don't know what it is about fresh beer but...be sure you eat breakfast before you go...:drunk:

I love Abita's beer. I would like to do a turbo dog and a purple haze clone some day. Their Winter beer was very good also.

Back