experiences with wyeast 1007 (german ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBmadtown

Reaction score
I am making a psuedo oktoberfest using the hybrid 1007 yeast. it is a 5.25 gal OG 1.055 beer. I pitched at around 65 deg with a 1/2 gal starter. It has been between 60-65 for the last week.

Initially I had a blow off tube. After 3 days it seemed like things were slowing down so I switched to an airlock. Overnight things were clear, but after an afternoon there was krausen in the airlock. I cleaned it out, but more krausen the next day. Now, 8 days later it is still bubbling away. I haven't checked a gravity, but my question is NOT whether it is done fermenting. It is going to stay in primary for 4 weeks so I am not worried.

I am curious to get other's experience with 1007 and if it is a slower longer fermentation. Also, 60-65 is on the high end, but it is the best I can do for now.

I've seen basically the same thing you're seeing when I've used 1007. I've found that keeping the temp in the mid 50's seems to help with the multiple blow-offs. I usually keep it in primary for at least 4 weeks.

I have a brew now that's been on primary for 4 weeks and the airlock still burps every once in a while.

ditto with the above. I brewed an Alt at around 60F with the 1007 and it kept that "rocky" ferment head for a good two weeks before it fell back in. We primaried for 4weeks, secondaried for 4 weeks, and then cold conditioned at 37F for 4 weeks and were pleased with the results.

The ferm time was definitely longer than most ale ferments (I'm use to about 10 days and done, but with this one I checked about twice a week until it stabilized), but then again I normally ferment my ales at 67-70, so the temp could have been a major factor for me.

Swirling the carboy a little helps the krausen fall back into the beer. 1007 ferments can keep a head on it for a long time otherwise.

Back