Drinking a 2006 Samichlaus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkestdays

Reaction score
Just picked up a bottle of this two days ago, and I just cracked her open. Pretty good stuff. Not for every occasion. But damned tasty! I've never had a four year old beer before.

I was going to save it, but the store that I bought it from still has a couple, so I figured I would try it. Should I buy the rest? I'm not sure how rare this beer is, but at 14% abv I'm sure it will continue to age well.

I will say that I am enjoying this much more that DFH120.

Tasting notes:
Smell: some alcohol, some butterscotch, maybe a little raisin
Taste: Some complexities going on. Almost too hard to describe.
Seems a bit sweet. lots of caramel taste. Kind of rum tasting. A little bit of an oaky nutty berry edge. I'm not really sure that I can taste or smell hops at all. Kind of grows on you as you drink it.

I have 6 bottles of the exact same beer in the basement. They dont makea huge amount of them, a once a year type brew which they then age at the brewery for months before bottling, so I got as many as I could get my grubby hands on, which was 10 at the time.

I can no longer get the 2006 ones from stores here in Norway, only 2007,8 etc. So I suspect a 2006 is on the rare side.

Back