PSA - Never take any of my brewing advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrinksWellWithOthers

Reaction score
Public Service Announcement

If I offer you any brewing advice, don't take it. Ever! Why, you ask? Because I'm an idiot and just realized now while after failing to vorlauf that I mashed 22lbs of grain with 8 gallons of water in my hot liquor tank.

Thank you. That is all.

If I offer you any brewing advice, don't take it. Ever! Why, you ask? Because I'm an idiot and just realized now while after failing to vorlauf that I mashed 22lbs of grain with 8 gallons of water in my hot liquor tank.

Thank you. That is all.

Oh. Well. I haven't done that, so I must be a better brewer!!!!! :rockin:

I have, however, racked 6 gallons of beer into a 5 gallon carboy after starting the siphon and walking away. I have done a complete fly sparge with the ballvalve opened on the MLT, again, after walking away. One time, I started my chiller and must have forgotten to put the end of the hose in the sink. I used to brew in my kitchen.

In the first case, only one gallon of beer completely coated my entire kitchen floor. In the second case, only 4 gallons of sweet wort covered my entire kitchen floor. In the last case, what got my attention was the sound of water running. Well, "running" isn't quite the right word. More like cascading from the kitchen down the basement stairs into a magnificent water fall. Yep, two stories of water.

I guess no one should take my advice, either. I suck as a brewer.

I was almost as good as that. I was going to do a load of laundry with the hot water from my IC and overfilled the washer. It almost happened a second time this past month, but my wife caught it before it spilled over.
Hmmm how about trying to cool my wort, but instead turned on the hot water tap and drained my hot water heater before I noticed it and changed back to cold.

We all make mistakes, but most of us are good enough to laugh at it after.

Thank you. That is all.

This is why I wait till the boil to start drinking ...:D

I have, however, racked 6 gallons of beer into a 5 gallon carboy after starting the siphon and walking away.

Yup, I've done that,

twice!!

I now have my carboys marked with nail polish at the 1/2 gallon marks so I now know exactly how much beer I overflow onto the floor :rockin:

Say and three Sláintes two Hau weg den Scheiss, and one Slainte Mhath! then go and sin no more.

Racked the beer into the bottling bucket with the spigot open and walked away.

Well I made it through the day and its fermenting now. I still can't believe I did that. I had no idea why my pump wasn't working and so I disconnect the hoses and grain comes falling out of the hoses and pump. I was so close to chucking the whole thing, HLT and all, into the woods. Eh, that's what I get for taking the winter off from brewing.

Well how about this one..... during a 60 min 5 gal boil I thought everything was good to go so I left the boil and went into the house...long story short.... I fell asleep and 3 hours later I woke up and realized I had wort boiling but... when I went out to check my mistake there was no wort left in the kettle due to boil overs and ended up boiling it dry.....Now that really sucked and it was a lesson well learned!

well it is not beer related but when i had a salt water tank i started to fill my backup tank upstairs and walked away I realized the problem when water was falling from the celing 100 gallons of water a new celiing and new can lights later i was not alllowed to have fish for over a year.. swmbo not a happy camper...

Alright, not as bad as what you guys have been through but the hose on the chiller melted and broke while SWMBO was helping me grill while brewing. Full pressure hot water sprayed her and she ran and fell breaking her nose!! So I brewed last night and fell ill (stomach bug) while chilling the wort. I cooled, racked and pitched. I didn't have the energy after the shizznits to clean up 10lbs of wet mash and a pan of trub. I got the phone call this afternoon that the whole house smells like body odor mixed with vomit. She also informed me that she must have the bug (shizznits). She was right, that mash stunk to high heaven and I promptly cleaned it up after I told her to put it on the porch. Lesson learned!!! Get through it and clean up or you will pay dearly. First time, last time. I am one popular guy right now, yee haw

have forgot to start timing boil after adding the first hop additions a few times

when i had a salt water tank i started to fill my backup tank upstairs and walked away I realized the problem when water was falling from the celing 100 gallons of water

Did you have hardwood floors around, and do you have a cousin in Mass. who also had a (leaking) salt water tank at his former house :)

If yes on the cousin part, I own his former dining room, and salt-saturated hardwood floor... and haven't figured out yet how to fix it.

Is it stained or worped if it is stained just sand if worped then sorry you will need to pull the stuff up no I did mine in in co springs oh and I had carpet thank god

Alright, not as bad as what you guys have been through but the hose on the chiller melted and broke while SWMBO was helping me grill while brewing. Full pressure hot water sprayed her and she ran and fell breaking her nose!! So I brewed last night and fell ill (stomach bug) while chilling the wort. I cooled, racked and pitched. I didn't have the energy after the shizznits to clean up 10lbs of wet mash and a pan of trub. I got the phone call this afternoon that the whole house smells like body odor mixed with vomit. She also informed me that she must have the bug (shizznits). She was right, that mash stunk to high heaven and I promptly cleaned it up after I told her to put it on the porch. Lesson learned!!! Get through it and clean up or you will pay dearly. First time, last time. I am one popular guy right now, yee haw

WOW..........Broke Her Nose!!!!!!! I'm surprised your allowed to brew after that one....... :mug:

Let's see I haven't had hugh mistakes I guess such as these. I still watch everything like a hawk.......

My biggest problem is trying to pour water from cleaning kettles, buckets, & sanitize tubs into the sink.......I seem always to overflow and have to take all my liquior stuff off bar/counter and clean up water mess......At least 5 times every brew day.

Oh I threw a yeast cake/trub on the dog the other day as it was dark and I didn't know he was there...Seems he has grown to love brew days as he likes to eat the spent grains so if he thinks I'm brewing he is always lurking.....

A common thread I am seeing in all of this is the "and then I walked away" part . . . .

I was using the immersion wort chiller and then I walked away . . . . which is when the clamp holding the hose to the nozzle came undone, spewing water into the wort.

With a 15 gallon MLT, I've been no-sparging. This leaves some sugars in the grain, so I partigyle for a couple gallon batch of free session beer. Don't know where my head was this past Sunday. (Could it have been large quantities of beer and painkillers [Vicodin] from recent knee surgery?)

The HLT is graduated in gallons, but I do my brewsheet in quarts. It wasn’t until the MLT was almost full that I realized I was trying to put in 10 gallons instead of 10 quarts.
:eek::drunk::cross:

Back