Using ingredients on hand - help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I was in a rush to get some equipment so I just grabbed a bunch of supplies for my next two batches without getting a recipe first. I knew I wanted to make an Marzen (i know I'm early) so I stuck with stuff I thought I'd use. I'd like to be able to make two batches (not necessarily the same styles), but def one should be an Oktoberfest style if possible. I have on hand:

DME:
12lbs Muntons Light

Steeping Grains:
1lb Caramunich L38-48
1lb Caramunich L55-65
1lb Cara Hell L12
1lb Crystal L40

Hops:
2oz Cascade 5.5%
2oz Hallertau 2.4%
4oz Tettnang 4.5%

Yeast:
1packet Safale-S04
1packet Saflager S23
1packet Nottingham
1packet Muntons Ale

Obviously I'll have to use 6lbs DME per batch.

For the Oktfest, how about:
6lbs DME
Steep 1/2 lb each of the grains above.
1/2 oz Tettnang bittering
1/2 oz Tettnang flavor
1 oz Hallertau aroma
Saflager fermented at 53 degrees and lagered.

Maybe I'll make two identical batches and do one as a lager and one as an ale to compare.

Any ideas?

I'd be tempted to do a mini-mash with all of the grains (the caramunichs will convert themselves), then do two boils: the Octoberfest as you have planned and the second more of a Pale with some of the cascades.

I'm doing a lager/ale comparison for my next batch, so that isn't a bad idea either. If you did a mini-mash and a late addition of the second 6 lbs of DME, you could have two batches from one boil. I'd probably go with safale-04 or nottingham.

That way you'd have something to drink while waiting for the lager. Force yourself to save a few bottles of the ale for comparison.

Back