hopped/unhopped DME's, change IBU's?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol' Grog

Reaction score
Does using a hopped or unhopped change the IBU calculations? If I wanted a less hoppy brew, would I go with unhopped DME?

Yes it does. Hopped extract already has some IBUs in it so to speak. Unhopped extract has 0.0 IBUs in it. So if you had the same recipe extract poundage, hops, and yeast the only difference was hopped and unhopped extract, the hopped extract brew would be more bitter (higher IBUs).

I never have used hopped extract, but I'm sure you can find information on approximately how many IBUs are in it, at least you should be able to, if not the people making the stuff aren't using their heads.

As far as calculating IBUs, the formula would be the same regardless of which you use, only the hopped extract you have to add the IBUs already present to any IBUs from the hops you add.

Thanks, that's about what I kind of thought. The more you read, the more you just don't know even if you think you do. Beer.....the only hobby worth studying for!!!!

Furthermore, I wouldn't recommend using hopped extract (who knows how the age affects it)...just use unhopped and add exactly the amount of hops you want with no guessing how the extract will influence it.

Also, many hopped extracts are designed for no-boil brewing. Boiling a hopped extract changes its bitterness/hops profile.

Finally, you have no idea at all what kind of hops or how much. I'd suspect A. leftovers from last year's harvest B. not much. I used some once, only because a friend got two cans free. There was nothing on the cans or on the manufacturer's website about IBU, etc. NADA!

Back