Any rule of thumb for time between keg cleaning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BorisBulldog

Reaction score
I've just gone thru my 3rd re-fill and the beer still tastes good and was curious what the recommended cleaning interval is.

When I MT my keg I put about 2 gallons of hot tap water and close the top and swirl the keg for about 40-60 seconds to rinse out the old ale and then after draining I just pour in the new beer.

I know I'll have to do a little more of sophisticated cleaning but was wondering what everyone's thoughts are.

Thanks

I use the same kegs for the same styles and clean/sanitize after every third batch. That is the only time anything other than beer goes in the kegs.

Thanks.

The forums over at Micromatic (for commercial kegs) say that you should clean the lines after every 15 gal keg. So I guess after every three 5 gallon kegs would be about right.

I like to clean the keg out with oxy clean and sanitize every time it kicks, this provides me with the perfect time to clean out my keezer line and tap. My Keezer sits outside, so I think it's necessary.

I clean each keg when it empties and sanitize before each refill. I break them down and replace the o-rings every couple years.

I plan to clean and santize after each keg is emptied, but I have a sump pump that does the work for me. Turn the keg upside down over a bucket with some hot Oxyclean in it and run the pump for a few minutes. Then do the same with some starsan. I'll probably clean the lines after 2 or 3 batches...

I clean and sanitize the kegs every time.

Frankly, I spend too much time, money and effort brewing to have a batch ruined by a nasty keg. The few minutes spent cleaning and sanitizing is well worth it.

I have several spare kegs, so as one empties, I pull it, clean and sanitize it, then put 30psi into it and let it sit until I need it. I clean the lines every 3 brews through. It is the faucets that get me pi$$ed. I do not have forward sealing perlicks and the ones I have tend to stick a bit. I spray them with sanitizer, but they still get bad.

Salute! :mug:

Back