starter with corn sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushmanj

Reaction score
i just washed my first batch of yeast and i know i need to make a starter before i pitch into a new batch. problem is i dont have any DME and there isnt a LHBS anywhere near me. i have a few pounds of corn sugar sitting arounf so i as wondering if that would make an acceptable starter?

yes and no. while the yeast will ferment the crap out of it. it is not a good source of nutrients for the yeast. now if you have some DAP handy then you can add that and some yeast nutrient and it would be fine. but i'm guessing you don't have either of those.

Plain sugar is junk food for yeast. You want to use more complex sugars and the essential trace byproducts from mashing barley to feed the yeast. Look for Malta at the supermarket, dilute with 50% water and use that for your starter instead.

Yeast will lose their ability to ferment maltose pretty fast if you try to make a starter from dextrose. Better to put it off and do it right.

Seems like there was a malt product at the store, but I can't remember what it was called. I think it would be fine for a starter. Wish I could remember what it was called!

Back